Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrei_me
    replied
    Michael I would pay for premium again, but with the covid crisis, the unfavorable exchange rate become unbearable, to US$ 1 => BR$ 5.30 from US$ 1 => BR$ 4.00 ( in early 2010's it was around BR$ 2.20 ~ BR$ 3.20)

I'll make some savings and when possible/feasible I will do my contribution 👍🏻

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Sooo, I recently had a little play of a java game called Towns (broke my leg, sooo bored).
    Will these updates improve performance? AI in that game is atrocious and I would like to increase the node to 6 (games max from default, 2), which usually comes at CPU cost.

Leave a comment:

• loinad
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Isn't that most of the point of Project Jigsaw (starting in java 9)? Slim down the java library so that it's more appropriate for running on smaller embedded systems?

https://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/
    Yes. It brought improvements and regressions (which eventually got fixed in Java 10 and 11).

https://cl4es.github.io/2018/11/29/O...hrough-11.html

Leave a comment:

• loinad
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Don't go for Oracle's line. Java's performance has been slowly decreasing since at least JDK 6. And it's got nothing to do with default memory region sizes or GC. It's become also slower to start and, to some degree, in operation. I can see some of this as being caused by the more advanced features added to the JVM, but I don't think that explains all the performance decline I've seen.

This may go unnoticed on >4GHz desktops with heaps (pun intended) of RAM, but on more resource constrained hardware, it can kill Java as a viable option.
    Measuring startup time (in both server and client mode) is probably not Michael 's cup of tea, but maybe he can find some time to fire this up on a RaspberryPi or some dual/quad core setup with 2-4GB of RAM.
    That's plain incorrect, IMHO. You can easily find independent testing around that shows otherwise and corroborates the improvements I've seen in both client and server/container machines in production.

https://cl4es.github.io/2018/11/29/O...hrough-11.html
    https://blog.qfotografie.de/2019/01/...s-application/
    https://optaweb.org/blog/2019/01/17/...rIsJava11.html

You should probably try gathering and showing your own data if you really believe it's become slower, because it isn't just Oracle who says it's been getting faster.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Don't go for Oracle's line. Java's performance has been slowly decreasing since at least JDK 6. And it's got nothing to do with default memory region sizes or GC. It's become also slower to start and, to some degree, in operation. I can see some of this as being caused by the more advanced features added to the JVM, but I don't think that explains all the performance decline I've seen.

This may go unnoticed on >4GHz desktops with heaps (pun intended) of RAM, but on more resource constrained hardware, it can kill Java as a viable option.
    Measuring startup time (in both server and client mode) is probably not Michael 's cup of tea, but maybe he can find some time to fire this up on a RaspberryPi or some dual/quad core setup with 2-4GB of RAM.
    Isn't that most of the point of Project Jigsaw (starting in java 9)? Slim down the java library so that it's more appropriate for running on smaller embedded systems?

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Didn't notice any slowdown when running 'hello world':

Code:
    $ set-jvm openjdk9
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 9.0.4+11)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Benchmark #1: java hello
    Time (mean ± σ): 73.4 ms ± 0.9 ms [User: 93.0 ms, System: 16.1 ms]
    Range (min … max): 71.2 ms … 75.6 ms 39 runs

$ set-jvm openjdk10
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Time (mean ± σ): 61.7 ms ± 1.4 ms [User: 79.1 ms, System: 15.8 ms]
    Range (min … max): 59.4 ms … 68.2 ms 46 runs

$ set-jvm openjdk11
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Time (mean ± σ): 60.2 ms ± 1.8 ms [User: 72.8 ms, System: 10.9 ms]
    Range (min … max): 58.4 ms … 66.0 ms 48 runs

$ set-jvm openjdk12
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 12.0.2+10)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Time (mean ± σ): 32.3 ms ± 3.5 ms [User: 35.8 ms, System: 9.5 ms]
    Range (min … max): 29.9 ms … 41.0 ms 92 runs

Warning: Statistical outliers were detected. Consider re-running this benchmark on a quiet PC without any interferences from other programs. It might help to use the '--warmup' or '--prepare' options.

$ set-jvm openjdk13
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 13+33)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Time (mean ± σ): 31.1 ms ± 1.5 ms [User: 34.1 ms, System: 9.6 ms]
    Range (min … max): 30.1 ms … 42.5 ms 90 runs

Warning: Statistical outliers were detected. Consider re-running this benchmark on a quiet PC without any interferences from other programs. It might help to use the '--warmup' or '--prepare' options.

$ set-jvm openjdk14
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14-ea+30-1385)
    $ hyperfine "java hello"
    Time (mean ± σ): 28.1 ms ± 0.5 ms [User: 31.4 ms, System: 9.3 ms]
    Range (min … max): 27.5 ms … 30.9 ms 96 runs

$ native-image hello
    $ hyperfine ./hello
    Benchmark #1: ./hello
    Time (mean ± σ): 0.8 ms ± 0.2 ms [User: 0.8 ms, System: 0.7 ms]
    Range (min … max): 0.5 ms … 2.3 ms 946 runs

Leave a comment:

• HarlemSquirrel
    replied
    Ugh I just realized that's a very old version of Rails so I think that benchmark stuff is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post

I think the most interesting real-world JRuby benchmark would likely involve a Rails application. I found https://guides.rubyonrails.org/v3.2....e_testing.html and I might be able to whip up something if there's interest and it seems useful.
    I'm not into Rails at all so if you can script up some automated means of running whatever such test, I can get it adapted into PTS. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• HarlemSquirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

I'd be willing to benchmark Jruby but not aware of any good benchmarks. That Wiki page just mentions the Debian language benchmarks and while those URLs are currently inactive, those benchmarks usually end up being quite uninteresting in the grand scheme as tend to just be mandelbrot implementations and other small code snippets in different languages as opposed to some large real-world workload.
    I think the most interesting real-world JRuby benchmark would likely involve a Rails application. I found https://guides.rubyonrails.org/v3.2....e_testing.html and I might be able to whip up something if there's interest and it seems useful.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
    It may be more niche but I'd like to see some kind of bench for JRuby on different OpenJDK versions.
    There's some stuff here: https://github.com/jruby/jruby/wiki/Benchmarks
    I'd be willing to benchmark Jruby but not aware of any good benchmarks. That Wiki page just mentions the Debian language benchmarks and while those URLs are currently inactive, those benchmarks usually end up being quite uninteresting in the grand scheme as tend to just be mandelbrot implementations and other small code snippets in different languages as opposed to some large real-world workload.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X