Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.26's Faster Searches Thanks To Multi-Threaded Git-Grep

Phoronix: Git 2.26's Faster Searches Thanks To Multi-Threaded Git-Grep

With the Git 2.26 release at the end of March one of the performance wins comes in the way of Git's grep functionality now being multi-threaded...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, yes and now we need to see speed comparison to ripgrep 😁

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
      Yes, yes and now we need to see speed comparison to ripgrep 😁
      Yes, I was curious to see that too, since ripgrep is very optimized. So I ran the benchmark script included in ripgrep's repo. And indeed, on my machine it still outmatches git-grep in many cases (see results here)!

However, note that this project did not aim to improve git-grep's performance in these cases. The goal was to speed up searches in past Git revisions and Git trees (which ripgrep currently does not support). Searching the cache involves decompressing many Git objects, which is very time-consuming.
      Therefore, this type of search can be even more demanding than searches in checked-out files (spending up to twice as much time, as per some of my tests). But the possibility of running them multi-threaded has brought a significant performance boost

As mentioned by rirpgrep's maintainer, this kind of search is outside the scope of their project. So the cool thing is that users now have a faster way to do this with git-grep, still having the possibility to use ripgrep when searching in the checked-out files

Comment

Working...
      X