No announcement yet.

Facebook Planning To Ramp Up Investment In LLVM, Hire More Compiler Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Planning To Ramp Up Investment In LLVM, Hire More Compiler Engineers

Phoronix: Facebook Planning To Ramp Up Investment In LLVM, Hire More Compiler Engineers

Facebook is looking to hire more compiler engineers as they ramp up their investment in LLVM and its sub-projects like the Clang C/C++ compiler and LLD linker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

facebook wants modern c++ features. facebook is smart, be like facebook

Comment

I can see it now: C++23 with ad trackers as a part of the standard library. Even "hello world" will phone home when compiled with clang++.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        facebook wants modern c++ features. facebook is smart, be like facebook
        As opposed to what? If I'm maintaining a C++ codebase, of course I want as modern a C++ compiler as possible.

Conversely, if I'm developing Rust, I also applaud this effort, because it's likely to improve the elements all LLVM frontends share, like the optimizers.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          As opposed to what?
          as opposed to using c or other inferior language(including less modern c++)
          If I'm maintaining a C++ codebase, of course I want as modern a C++ compiler as possible.
          that would be logical, but isn't always the case
          Conversely, if I'm developing Rust, I also applaud this effort, because it's likely to improve the elements all LLVM frontends share, like the optimizers.
          modern c++ features are orthogonal to optimizers. and by my definition, in that case you would be less smart than facebook

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
            I can see it now: C++23 with ad trackers as a part of the standard library. Even "hello world" will phone home when compiled with clang++.
            does php "hello world" phone home right now?

Comment

modern c++ features are orthogonal to optimizers
              Hardly. I maintain C++ compilers and poke at their optimizers and toolchains as my day job; what compilers do to your modern C++ is just short of magic (as is all mathematics).

Now, if you were to argue that modern C++ features make compile times hell, I would be forced to agree with you. The tradeoff is developers spend less time writing and debugging code (and fixing bugs) and more time getting coffee while the code compiles.

That said, you can write bad code in any language and there is only so much the compiler can do for you there.

Comment

Hardly. I maintain C++ compilers and poke at their optimizers and toolchains as my day job; what compilers do to your modern C++ is just short of magic (as is all mathematics).
                optimizers don't work on c++ source. people maintaining compilers are supposed to know that
                Now, if you were to argue that modern C++ features make compile times hell, I would be forced to agree with you.
                well, you should spend some time learning, what "modern c++" means. it actually replaces "old c++"(read "tmp") with code which is significantly(as in "orders of magnitude") faster to compile. and c++20 modules will revolutionize it even more
                Last edited by pal666; 29 March 2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

optimizers don't work on c++ source. people maintaining compilers are supposed to know that
                  And I thought it was pretty clear from what he wrote that he meant that the semantics of new features (as implemented in the C++ frontend) are intimately connected to what the optimizers may and may not do to the GIMPLE or LLVM IR or whatever the compiler uses further down the line.

Comment

And I thought it was pretty clear from what he wrote that he meant that the semantics of new features (as implemented in the C++ frontend) are intimately connected to what the optimizers may and may not do to the GIMPLE or LLVM IR or whatever the compiler uses further down the line.
                    no, he didn't mean that. because 1) he has no clue and 2) it's not true most of the time and 3) there's no connection to rust here

Comment

Working...
                    X