OpenJDK 14 Has Some Performance Improvements But OpenJDK 8 Still Strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    ... You're still better ignoring the module system, ...
    Not if you are deploying your Java applications to Kubernetes in Docker/OCI containers, and you care about reducing the size of the images as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif

I can't argue with uncivilised people, who are experts and professionals in being rude to other people.
      Professionals use technical language to respond and to prove their opinions.
      BTW, I don't play video games.
      You didn't use technical language to base your accusations either, so expecting me to waste time educating you is even more retarded than your first post.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        What about this benchmark:
        lang production use license cost
        c++ 0 rupee forever
        rust 0 rupee forever
        java 10 billion rupees , and pray oracle doesn't change the agreement.

rust and c are lookin better to me
        How dumb an hater could be?
        Have you ever heard about OpenJDK?

Comment

I have taken a look at these benchmarks, and it appears that they are all about web applications performing data operations.
          Give some real computing benchmarks like these: https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.de...test/java.html
          So web applications performing data operations are not 'real computing'? Since when? Why don't you announce that to Google, Amazon, Netflix, Amazon, and Cloudflare?

And on that famous benchmark page you listed, Java actually does really well. It's behind C, C++, Rust, Fortran, and Julia in most benchmarks and even with Haskell and Swift. It comfortably outdoes Perl, PHP, Python, NodeJS, Dart, Erlang, Lisp, and others. The only big surprise is C#, which narrowly outdoes Java in every benchmark - but in only two of the benchmarks does C# use significantly less memory.

And where Java is behind C++, it's only by a factor of 50%-200%, not 5x, or 10x, or 100x. That's not bad in return for automatic memory management, safety from buffer overruns and use-after-free, and less effort for cross-platform development.
          Last edited by Michael_S; 20 March 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
            What about this benchmark:
            lang production use license cost
            c++ 0 rupee forever
            rust 0 rupee forever
            java 10 billion rupees , and pray oracle doesn't change the agreement.

rust and c are lookin better to me
            OpenJDK is licensed GPLv2, you only have to pay Oracle if you're using the Oracle JDK.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

How dumb an hater could be?
              Have you ever heard about OpenJDK?
              Well, rupee = currency of some poor foreign country with a crappy educational system.

Comment

I can't argue with uncivilised people, who are experts and professionals in being rude to other people.
                Professionals use technical language to respond and to prove their opinions.
                BTW, I don't play video games.
                Java used to be slow on ~year 2000 hardware. People had Pentium 2 systems with 64 MB of RAM. That caused some issues when the garbage collector was expecting twice as much as native languages. JIT compilation was also something that caused lots of complaints.

Now even JS does JIT and has a GC. It's technically pretty much like Java. The main difference is, JS needs more memory than languages with more precise types, see e.g. https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.de...avascript.html

Comment

Oh for crying out loud. It's not year 2000 any more. This hasn't been true for decades. Stop trolling please and go educate yourself.

Look at the amount of enterprise systems written in Java. Look at how many companies write their backends in Java. Look how much business logic is written in Java. There's reasons why people and companies are doing that, and these are GOOD reasons. People even write low latency high-frequency trading systems in Java (although those end up somewhat weird and ditch 50% features Java offers for performance and manual memory management).

Not everything is high performance scientific computing. If you want to do that, write the 1% of code that does it in C or whatever language you choose, and write the remaining 99% of code in Java.

I've been developing enterprise Java applications for 20 years now. I've seen my share of crap Java applications, but there's crap code everywhere, it's not Java's fault. Most of the time some pretty stupid decisions were made that made sense at the time, and now they're stuck with them 10 years later. In fact, if these systems were written in C or C++ with same code quality and complexity- they would not run at all...

Java and Performance are two things that can't be mentioned in the same context.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well, rupee = currency of some poor foreign country with a crappy educational system.
                    Well you keep saying that, then complain about your job going there. Maybe you should have learnt your lessons better.

Comment

You know you -Java developers- don't take consumers into account. you think only about your efforts, you want make apps in the least possible time without thinking about the performance of your applications.
                      I'm quite sure that you all Java haters has been saying for years that Java is too verbose and painful to write, and now I discover that we Java developers use it because it is FAST to write code with it?

Nice!

So, i give you some hint:

* Java is nice to work with, and it gives you performances too!
                      * It gives you an ecosystem of tools without equals.
                      * It allows you to write portable, maintenable and robust code.

Stop hating, or at least try to get better doing it!

Comment

Working...
                      X