Java 14 Reaches General Availability With Garbage Collection Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java 14 Reaches General Availability With Garbage Collection Improvements

Phoronix: Java 14 Reaches General Availability With Garbage Collection Improvements

Java 14 has reached general availability today with numerous updates to the JDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

#MakeJavaGreatAgain

Comment

The G1 garbage collector now supports NUMA-aware memory allocations.
      Whoa, I actually cared about that in the past I had an ASUS KCMA-D8 motherboard with 2 Opteron CPUs, and was looking into some things to get Runescape (Java game) performing better on it, and specifically ran into a bug report about G1 not supporting NUMA well.

Comment

A rather weak release, with barely a useful feature. But since it's LTS, they probably decided to play it safe. Then again, why add features in preview form to an LTS release?

Comment

Also multiline strings and better NullPointerException messages. Good release, I don't need anything revolutionary tbh.

Comment

What about Wayland support in Java? Any news?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              A rather weak release, with barely a useful feature. But since it's LTS, they probably decided to play it safe. Then again, why add features in preview form to an LTS release?
              Java changed how it's doing it's releases to be more time-based (starting with Java 9). They realized that by making giant feature packed releases that came out every 5 years, they were actually holding back features that were ready early on in the release cycle. So they are now having more frequent, less feature-packed releases. This is a good thing. I'm pretty sure the fact that this is an LTS is coincidental, it's just the nature of how they're doing releases now.

I think the preview form of things is also a side-effect of the release schedule.

Comment

Are you sure it's not java 15 that's going to be lts?

Comment

Actually java 17 according to Wikipedia

Comment

It will take some time for GraalVM to become a mature replacement for HotSpot. Once that happens you will likely see some exciting performance improvements for Java.
                    Last edited by cynical; 18 March 2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X