GDB 9.1 Released With Multi-Threaded Symbol Loading, Kills Off Solaris 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDB 9.1 Released With Multi-Threaded Symbol Loading, Kills Off Solaris 10

Phoronix: GDB 9.1 Released With Multi-Threaded Symbol Loading, Kills Off Solaris 10

Out this weekend is GDB 9.1 as the newest feature update to the GNU Debugger...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Visual Studio needs something like that. Sometimes it can take whole minutes to get its debugger started because of symbols.

Comment

Studio does download the symbols when needed, and back a few years when I used it, did that unreasonably often (and for auxiliary libraries I don't care about)

Theres a magic switch to turn that of somewhere.

Anyway, I am still a bit shaken from the 8.x series, that had a lot of issues that only got resolved with 8.3.1.
      Hope 9.x is better in that regard, but there was already a last minute revert since this thing couldn't reliable set breakpoints under eclipse (at least).

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

The multi-threaded symbol loading is less efficient than I expected:
        • Disabled: 2.50 seconds elapsed, 99% CPU
        • Enabled: 2.16 seconds elapsed, 128% CPU
        I would probably compare that to something that takes a minute or two, not just a couple seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

That would mean that the executable, including the size of the shared libraries it uses, is at least 5 GB in size. Not many projects are that big.
          Curious where you're getting those numbers. The point is if something is already only taking 2.5 seconds, the gain here is pointless compared to the complexity it added. There's definitely cases where more than a few seconds is used to load symbols though.

Comment

I haven't been able to get gdb to build on Red Hat/CentOS ever since version 8.2. Compilation always craps out with undefined MPFR functions. I'm sure some symlinks would fix it but I'm lazy.

Comment

Working...
            X