X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elatllat
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well you never really use /dev/urandom yourself.
    You usually use a programming language then get the random data from whatever functionality is provided by the language, such as in Python by importing the "random" module, or in PHP with the rand() function.
    To avoid depleting my entropy pools with TLS I need to tell java to use urandom (it's a config setting).
    I use urandom directly from bash scripts for password generation and IO testing.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    So using urandom where possible and installing rng-tools or haveged for anything else is still required.
    Well you never really use /dev/urandom yourself.
    You usually use a programming language then get the random data from whatever functionality is provided by the language, such as in Python by importing the "random" module, or in PHP with the rand() function.
    Last edited by uid313; 01 February 2020, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    So using urandom where possible and installing rng-tools or haveged for anything else is still required.

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Finally. This was long due.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic /dev/random Is More Like /dev/urandom With Linux 5.6

/dev/random Is More Like /dev/urandom With Linux 5.6

Phoronix: /dev/random Is More Like /dev/urandom With Linux 5.6

The random changes have been sent in for Linux 5.6 that yield /dev/random behavioral changes and a new random flag...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X