Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt LTS Releases To Be Restricted To Commercial Customers, Other Commercial Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Qt supports them too....
    Yeah, but at least you can have a modern look as well with full animations and stuff.

Comment

In ruffling feathers of open-source Qt fans, The Qt Company announced a series of changes today to help foster their commercial business.
      I was going mumble something about offering a cheaper priced product for small clients.

The Qt Company will also be introducing a new lower-priced tier for Qt commercial that is aimed at small businesses.
      I once considered buying a license for a small project I was planning but the price was put of my reach. Interestingly they had an offerimg for small / individual developers but they discontinued it because they said it was not worth their efforts IIRC.
      Last edited by zoomblab; 27 January 2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
        The gtk1 gui libs are the only good for a fork.
        I'd like to see FLTK modernized. But is it a bad toolkit to program with..?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          I once considered buying a license for a small project I was planning but the price was put of my reach. Interestingly they had an offerimg for small / individual developers but they discontinued it because they said it was not worth their efforts IIRC.
          It's probably because enough larger companies were abusing that. I don't know about this specific case but it's kind of the norm to do that in many places.

Comment

Has 144Hz been banned? This thread is ripe for him to trolll...

Comment

I'll never understand why Qt had such a success over wxWidgets, which has been always free even for commercial use (permissive license), and supported native widgets far before than Qt. Since the first Qt release, I always considered it a toolkit I need to build because many apps require it, but that I'd never use for writing an app, due to its confusing commercial position and its non-permissive license.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                Has 144Hz been banned? This thread is ripe for him to trolll...
                there was some action to clean up his mess, don't know if he is banned or not.

Comment

This is going to negatively affect some projects or distro releases that relied on it.

Each distribution backporting their own QT LTS will be a nightmare from manpower to compatibility between distributions.

The options:
                  1. Each distro adopting the LTS support burden.
                  2. KDE Project absorbing QT LTS maintenance.
                  3. Distributions dropping KDE/QT for LTS releases.
                  4. While porting for QT6, code a home brew replacement.

#2 will be the more stable and friendly imo. KDE Community to take the burden and tie QT with KDE and released closely tied together at least for plasma LTS releases. # 1 will bring too much headache for distributions, many of them will do #3 and not think twice and drop KDE from LTS spins just for the work involved.

For a long term solution, #4. But please no forking of QT. With MySQL and MariaDB “drop in” compatibility B crap I have enough.

Comment

Can we all stop the nonsense?
                    Qt don't have a LTS release until 2011 (4.8), and that was OK.
                    GTK never had a LTS release, and that is OK.
                    Distros backport manually almost all fixes themselves for all projects since forever.
                    All distros compile their own packages from source, so, they don't need Qt Accounts to download Qt official BINARY releases.
                    LTS releases are for business that ship their own Qt copy.

Qt Company is a public traded enterprise and publishes financial reports. We can see is they have any trouble maintaining the "lights on". [1]
                    1 - https://investors.qt.io/reports-and-presentations/

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                      Urgh, I hope this will not impact security on Linux too hard. Does the license allow e.g. the kde project to distribute their own LTS version with backported fixes, so all distributions can pull from it?
                      It remains LGPL/GPL, so yes.

But that won't even be necessary. Why would anyone in their right mind want to use the LTS version instead of a more current, fully compatible version of the same branch? The newer versions bring a lot of advantages including loads of bugfixes. Staying on an ancient branch forever is definitely the wrong way to go about security and everything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X