Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Developers Discuss Improved Decision Making Process

Phoronix: LLVM Developers Discuss Improved Decision Making Process

LLVM project founder Chris Lattner has proposed a new decision making process for the LLVM compiler stack around new sub-project proposals, new social policies, changes to core infrastructure, and other key changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-New-Processes

How to solve it? More bureaucracy!

Well thought!

Do they fear GCC so much?

Comment

Llvm is not just a set of compilers, but a whole ecosystem for tools. They don't fear Gcc, they are concerned about supporting users of their ecosystem better.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Considering how well documented methods for proposals have worked for other platforms I don’t see a problem. If done well, a good process might actually reduce frustration and confusion.
        Well thought!
        Well more thought than what went into this comment.
        Do they fear GCC so much?
        Oh boy!

No they don’t fear GCC if anything they have respect for the platform. Further my impression is that the relationship between the two developer camps is pretty good. Beyond that the LLVM suite has had a very positive impact on GCC development. I’ve watched GCC development for years and I think it is safe to say LLVM spurred the development of GCC into what it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          No they don’t fear GCC if anything they have respect for the platform. Further my impression is that the relationship between the two developer camps is pretty good. Beyond that the LLVM suite has had a very positive impact on GCC development. I’ve watched GCC development for years and I think it is safe to say LLVM spurred the development of GCC into what it is today.
          Yeah. If anything, they benefit from one another since competition prevents stagnation and can bring about advancements faster.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Yes, in a way, but the proposals are important in a number of ways to make it clear how to participate in the project and how decisions are made. The current process is somewhat problematic for many. While those working for the billion dollar revenue (per day) companies may have good internal sources to bounce ideas off of, and to get buy-off on, there are others whose ideas are may be just as valuable (perhaps more so, as group think can stifle good ideas) that do not have such backing, and should be fairly evaluated. Determining "general consensus" in large diverse projects is something that requires process to make sure everyone is given a fair voice to make their case.

And, perhaps just as important, Chris does not believe he should be (or can be), nor the project participants would want him to be, the decider for all possible ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X