Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 10 Introduces A Static Analyzer - Static Analysis On C Code With "-fanalyzer" Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 10 Introduces A Static Analyzer - Static Analysis On C Code With "-fanalyzer" Option

Phoronix: GCC 10 Introduces A Static Analyzer - Static Analysis On C Code With "-fanalyzer" Option

Within GCC's newly minted Git repository is a big last minute feature for the GCC 10 release: a long-awaited static analyzer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I wonder how long until someone is offended by "GIMPLE SSA" and that gets a name change like weboob and master/slave to make easily triggered people happy.

Comment

How is it compared to alternatives?

Cppcheck, llvm one, Coverity...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Now I wonder how long until someone is offended by "GIMPLE SSA" and that gets a name change like weboob and master/slave to make easily triggered people happy.
        Agreed.

IMHO the "easily triggered" never learned how to wear "big boy pants" because their "helicopter parents" never let them grow up properly.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          ... because their "helicopter parents" ...
          Bulldozer parenting has replaced the helicopters in certain demographic groups.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
            Bulldozer parenting has replaced the helicopters in certain demographic groups.
            The fuck is bulldozer parenting? Buying your kid an FX-8350 and making them believe it really has 8 cores?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              How is it compared to alternatives?

Cppcheck, llvm one, Coverity...
              For one, it is not yet as language complete, nor quite as extensive, but it is an important first step (as it builds a framework). While all the analysis tools you mention report a few common issues in some code bases, each tend to identify at least a few things the other does not, resulting in value to review the results from all (with the caveat that you have to be careful not to spend so much time looking for nits that you never ship). The friendly "competition" between compilers such as gcc and llvm has resulted in the good ideas from the other being recognized as being positive, and with the developers looking to try to provide something better.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The fuck is bulldozer parenting? Buying your kid an FX-8350 and making them believe it really has 8 cores?
                Low blow. A "core" wasn't well defined at that time, and it still isn't. That lawsuit was so bullshit, I didn't even claim the amount I could have because I still felt like I received a fair product after rummaging through their reasoning for the payout. You can clearly see a program scale per advertised core and it worked as intended, and did so especially well for the price-point.

Comment

we'll see the language support added
                  Did you mean language server support?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Agreed.

IMHO the "easily triggered" never learned how to wear "big boy pants" because their "helicopter parents" never let them grow up properly.
                    Yeah, because the only way someone can turn in an helicopter is if their parents also are.

Sorry to tell you that it's many of the parents using expressions like "big boy pants" that are responsible for people not growing up correctly.

Helicopter parents happen now, when the failures of the "big boy pants" parents reached reproductive age. They are not good parents either, but it's naive to blame them for basically creating themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X