X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    I don't believe there's really any reason to panic even if a project hasn't converted. There are alternatives to upstream python2 support with various projects and companies. ActiveState and pypy are basically going to be supporting python2 indefinitely.

That means you may have to jump a few extra hoops instead of just "apt install", but people still requiring python2 will hopefully know how to jump those hoops.
    The biggest problem can be seen here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...-install-media

Multiple language version consume unnecessary space in installation medium / live distros / container images. A large live distro could probably save more than 10% of space by eliminating legacy language versions. The effect becomes more significant on a global scale. You might be able to shut down few coal plants if the systems consume less. Less hard drives need to be manufactured. I know, totally crazy, right?

It helps a lot if one is able to see that not everything is black and white. Accumulating legacy packages does not mean the system collapses. It just means minor increase of labor and costs here and there. In capitalism, people typically try to minimize costs, but on geek forums people often see this ignorance as a virtue. The next step is to ridicule people who try to fix and improve your systems.

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    I don't believe there's really any reason to panic even if a project hasn't converted. There are alternatives to upstream python2 support with various projects and companies. ActiveState and pypy are basically going to be supporting python2 indefinitely.

That means you may have to jump a few extra hoops instead of just "apt install", but people still requiring python2 will hopefully know how to jump those hoops.
    I think it's better to port programs to Python 3; but of course, end users may not have the time/knowledge to do that.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    I have been running python2-less for some time now, and the only app I (sort of(*)) miss is GIMP (with its default dependency of python2).

I would recommend people try to go python2-less and see what must have program they would lose, and work with the project to help them migrate. I have been making small contributions to projects to get them python3 ready (some of the conversions trivial, some were more complex), but you likely want to learn what is going to happen before the upgrade (and then have a wtf experience).

(*) Like some others, I have a love/hate relationship with the capabilities/UI.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Packages that depend on Python 2 include atom and gyp.

Leave a comment:

• jf33
    replied
    The only python2 program that I really miss is puddletag. Any good alternatives?

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    Typo: remaining patches that -> remaining packages that

Leave a comment:

• With Python 2 EOL'ed, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Moves Along With Its Python 2 Removal

Phoronix: With Python 2 EOL'ed, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Moves Along With Its Python 2 Removal

With Python 2 having reached end-of-life at the start of 2020, Ubuntu and Debian developers continue their work on removing Python 2 at least from the base OS. Work continues on transitioning packages to Python 3 or otherwise ultimately dropping unmaintained packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X