With Python 2 EOL'ed, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Moves Along With Its Python 2 Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    The only python2 program that I really miss is puddletag. Any good alternatives?
    I was using Easytag and it worked well. Not sure if it can replace puddletag.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Packages that depend on Python 2 include atom and gyp.
      Huh, what are you talking about? gyp supports Python 3: https://github.com/nodegui/nodegui/i...ment-529150703

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Huh, what are you talking about? gyp supports Python 3: https://github.com/nodegui/nodegui/i...ment-529150703
        Oh great!
        Not the version in Ubuntu 19.10.
        Ubuntu 19.10 also have a old version of npm and LLVM that does not support Python 3, but I guess those are fixed too.
        So I guess in the upcoming 20.04 the only remaining one that I am aware of will be Atom. Hopefully they will fix it, but it seems the development pace of Atom has slowed down lately.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          I was using Easytag and it worked well. Not sure if it can replace puddletag.
          I tried EasyTag as well, but did not like it. If you open a directory with it, it will automatically do something with the mp3 files in it. I don't know what exactly it does and that's a no-go for me.

I just want an editor for ID3 tags. I want to see the raw names of the id3 tags, I want to see all of them, and I want to be able to add whatever tag I like. Puddletag was doing this perfectly.

Comment

With todays update steam-launcher was removed for me and doesn't want to install because of python2 dependencies. Haven't had time to look into it yet and at work now be should be possible I hope?

Comment

why "apt install steam-launcher" instead of "apt install steam"? I never understood the difference... and do you happen to know exactly which python2 script?

I spend quite a bit of time on the Steam for Linux forum and have filed a couple small issues on Valve's GitHub, so I may be able to help ensure their Linux devs notice this and get things 100% ready for the switch ahead of time.

Also it's important to make sure the issue is on Valve's side and not on an extra script provided by distro package maintainers.

There is plenty idle and motivated manpower in that forum to help figure it out

Comment

Sorry for the consecutive posts, but I am currently unable to edit my previous one...

An issue was already raised in october on Valve's GitHub:
                https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/6634

Kisak has tagged it so they're aware, but so far no other posts there.

There were no explicit mentions of this issue on the Steam for Linux forum yet.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                  why "apt install steam-launcher" instead of "apt install steam"? I never understood the difference... and do you happen to know exactly which python2 script?

I spend quite a bit of time on the Steam for Linux forum and have filed a couple small issues on Valve's GitHub, so I may be able to help ensure their Linux devs notice this and get things 100% ready for the switch ahead of time.

Also it's important to make sure the issue is on Valve's side and not on an extra script provided by distro package maintainers.

There is plenty idle and motivated manpower in that forum to help figure it out
                  Thanks for the info! Turns out it was as easy as installing "steam" instead of "steam-launcher" to get it up and running again for me. Don't know what the differences are either but the launcher depends on python(2) while steam doesn't for some reason.

steam-launcher : Depends: python but it is not going to be installed
                  python : PreDepends: python-minimal (= 2.7.17-1) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libpython-stdlib (= 2.7.17-1) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: python2 (= 2.7.17-1) but 2.7.17-2ubuntu1 is to be installed

Comment

Working...
                  X