Vim Creator Bram Moolenaar Aiming To Improve Vim Performance With Vim9 Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim Creator Bram Moolenaar Aiming To Improve Vim Performance With Vim9 Fork

Phoronix: Vim Creator Bram Moolenaar Aiming To Improve Vim Performance With Vim9 Fork

Bram Moolenaar began developing Vim as an improvement over the Vi editor while now he is looking to make improvements over Vim itself with an experimental fork called Vim9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zawinski's law of software envelopment (also known as Zawinski's law) comments on the phenomenon of software bloating with popular features:[13][14]
    Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Zawinski

Zawinski's law of software envelopment (also known as Zawinski's law) comments on the phenomenon of software bloating with popular features:[13][14]
      Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.
      I'm aware of the quote, but I don't see the relevance. It's talking about scope creep while some of the tasks that are still part of the process of code editing (such as certain types of highlighting or linting) are inherently CPU-heavy because of the nature of the code being edited.

Now putting a mail client inside emacs, that's a different story and what JWZ is referencing.

Comment

What about NeoVIM? I thought it was The VIM Fork

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm aware of the quote, but I don't see the relevance. It's talking about scope creep while some of the tasks that are still part of the process of code editing (such as certain types of highlighting or linting) are inherently CPU-heavy because of the nature of the code being edited.

Now putting a mail client inside emacs, that's a different story and what JWZ is referencing.
          The relevance is that people can't resist adding more and more features to software.
          It's not about the actual mail thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

The relevance is that people can't resist adding more and more features to software.
            It's not about the actual mail thing.
            Except it doesn't sound like this is all about adding new features, but improving performance for existing ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

Except it doesn't sound like this is all about adding new features, but improving performance for existing ones.
              Ah ok. so the killer sheep will be running faster now https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...m-8.2-Released

Comment

The best thing for Vim would be to artificially slow down vimscript so people use less plugins and actually learn Vim instead

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  The best thing for Vim would be to artificially slow down vimscript so people use less plugins and actually learn Vim instead
                  Were that to happen, I'd get off my ass and start investigating which alternative editor's Vim-alike mode is configurable enough to re-create my .vimrc without all the legacy bottlenecks and fragilities caused by Vim's internal architecture and its decision to have a plugin API built around synthesized user input.

I was already considering it for at least some languages before Vim 8's async support allowed me to replace Syntastic with ALE.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post

Yeah, 'cause VIM is soooo slow. Even Windows 10 on a 2002 HDD boots faster than VIM!!! [/sarcasm]

Comment

Working...
                    X