Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM Begins Landing Preliminary Patches Around Intel's JCC Erratum, GAS Support Landed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Begins Landing Preliminary Patches Around Intel's JCC Erratum, GAS Support Landed

Phoronix: LLVM Begins Landing Preliminary Patches Around Intel's JCC Erratum, GAS Support Landed

Disclosed back in November was the Intel Jump Conditional Code (JCC) erratum affecting Skylake and newer CPUs that could lead to "unpredictable behavior" when jump instructions cross cache lines. Intel issued a CPU microcode update to address the problem at a performance cost, but with some compiler toolchain magic, it's possible to mitigate a good portion of that impact...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WARNING: This patch is knowingly incorrect in some cornercases
    Yeah that's not acceptable. I can understand if it doesn't bring back full performance, but merging in patches that are known to be buggy is bad.

To me it sounds like the person just wanted to push their changes in, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      Yeah that's not acceptable.
      You could say that about the Intel product to begin with...

Comment

Intel Corporation should be renamed to Bugtel these days. They are making Pentium days look like heaven in comparison.

Can't they invest more in QA in their CPUs these days? This is getting ridiculous.

Comment

As someone that builds a product around Intel Xeon servers (and slowly migrating to AMD Epyc servers *) this is getting ridiculous.
          I find myself constantly being forced to optimize our code just to regain lost performance due to CPU security and bugs mitigation.
          Is Intel hell bent on driving me crazy...?

* Porting complex software to a new platform is anything but easy. Configurations must be changed, code, especially optimized kernel code, must be rewritten, let alone the fact that both HP and Dell are slow to release Rome servers...

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            As someone that builds a product around Intel Xeon servers (and slowly migrating to AMD Epyc servers *) this is getting ridiculous.
            I find myself constantly being forced to optimize our code just to regain lost performance due to CPU security and bugs mitigation.
            Is Intel hell bent on driving me crazy...?

* Porting complex software to a new platform is anything but easy. Configurations must be changed, code, especially optimized kernel code, must be rewritten, let alone the fact that both HP and Dell are slow to release Rome servers...

- Gilboa
            It's still x86, and practically supports the same CPU instructions. Anyway, whatever language you're using will happily work on the new hardware as well, at best it requires recompilation.

The only real "porting" required is basic stuff like making sure you have the correct CPU microcode, and that the kernel you use supports that CPU and some of the motherboard hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

It's still x86, and practically supports the same CPU instructions. Anyway, whatever language you're using will happily work on the new hardware as well, at best it requires recompilation.

The only real "porting" required is basic stuff like making sure you have the correct CPU microcode, and that the kernel you use supports that CPU and some of the motherboard hardware.
              You are dead wrong.

When it comes to handling heavy I/O (passive network input), different platforms behave radically different.
              Under load, things like CPU scaling managers and NUMA / PCI-E / CPU topologies makes a huge difference.

If you trying to shove~200 Gbits down dozens of network devices with no hardware acceleration to speak of, x86 is not x86!

- Gilboa
              Last edited by gilboa; 28 December 2019, 05:03 AM.
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X