Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim 8.2 Released With Support For Popup Windows

Phoronix: Vim 8.2 Released With Support For Popup Windows

For those preferring the Vim text editor, Vim 8.2 is out today and its primary new feature is support for "popup windows" and for demonstrating those new capabilities is even a new Vim-based game called Killer Sheep...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VIM is EMACS done right! Praise VIM!

Comment

KillerSheep is a baaaaaad baaaaaad game... (someone had to say it)

Comment

Now VIM needs a window manager and a compositor for it. VimOS FTW!!!!!1111

Jokes aside: Does this mode also has a graphics mode?

PS: What about NeoVIM? It had popup windows ages ago. It even has has floating windows, multigrid and others.
        Last edited by timofonic; 12 December 2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Does this mean that vim will also need a pop up blocker?

Comment

Originally posted by maarten View Post
            Does this mean that vim will also need a pop up blocker?
            Rewriting uBlock in VimL would be a huge PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              VIM is EMACS done right! Praise VIM!
              As a Vim user, I have to say that they both have deep design flaws that can't be fixed without major breakages to their existing ecosystems. In Vim's case, it's mainly that its extensibility grew organically, which is why plugin composition is so fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                I have to say that they both have deep design flaws that can't be fixed without major breakages to their existing ecosystems.
                ... and ? I use it as an Editor not as an Operating System. VIM served me well for many many years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

... and ? I use it as an Editor not as an Operating System. VIM served me well for many many years now.
                  Vim has served me well for ages too, but it does mean that I'm still tracking down and reporting bugs caused by the switch to async plugins I did a few months ago.

(At the moment, I'm trying to find time to diagnose why, in certain context, ALE fights to keep my pointer from appearing to move when I hold down an arrow key because I'm blanking on a more precise motion.)

If it had a more solid model for plugin interaction, rather than just expecting plugins to spend half their time faking user input, these bugs wouldn't happen.

(It reminds me of how I had to completely rewrite some code from a blog post detailing how to implement spell-checking in PyQt text-entry widgets because the guy who wrote it didn't seem to understand how to create secondary cursors rather than manipulating the visible one.)
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 13 December 2019, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    If it had a more solid model for plugin interaction, rather than just expecting plugins to spend half their time faking user input, these bugs wouldn't happen.
                    I do understand this. But please bear in mind, that VIM has been released around 1991. Probably as a hobbiest project by someone, who started this out of fun. During that time (this also includes me and my own programming history), a project started with few basic functions and evolved into something that we know as what VIM is today. I do believe you, that there is a lot of potential for improvements. But at the end of the day... It's still an editor... The most popular as we speak...

Comment

Working...
                    X