Motorola m68k Support Improved Upon In GCC - Saved From Being Removed In GCC 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Considering how we're talking educational use here I'd say there is an argument for keeping it that goes beyond money and people willing to spend their free time moving it off the soon-to-be-deprecated backend. Students are after all the most important usergroup when it comes to the long term viability of a development tool like this.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Considering how we're talking educational use here I'd say there is an argument for keeping it that goes beyond money and people willing to spend their free time moving it off the soon-to-be-deprecated backend. Students are after all the most important usergroup when it comes to the long term viability of a development tool like this.
      We are all students in this life. As such any person who wishes to contribute monetarily to AVR development is a student paying for a potential learning tool that may assist themselves or other students. Any developer who wishes to contribute their time and craftsmanship is a student simultaneously learning (through creation) and creating a tool others can potentially use for learning.

If you had government schools in mind. I think they have less to do with fostering or assisting with learning and more to do with leading you some place. There's nothing one of those schools can teach me which I cannot learn from outside of it faster, cheaper (observing true costs) and with more freedom to go in a direction which truly serves me and my interests. Practically speaking one may wish to go to a government school in order to get a piece of paper containing a spell which is required to gain access to some employment opportunities which are restricted because the employer has fallen under a spell themselves and will not accept applications without one of these magic spells attached. One may also wish to go to a government school in order to get employment within the government school. Many people are simply forced to go to government school or they were lied to or otherwise misled into voluntarily going.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        We are all students in this life.
        I was pretty clearly talking about proper students in education. When you're in education you don't exactly start by writing a backend for the language you want to learn on the architecture you're going to be using. You need the tools to be there and usable from the get-go and your idea is basically like asking some to learn to read and write before they can speak the language.

As for your rambling about how peeved you are about employers preferring people with an actual education over "self taught" individuals I'm going to have to point out that in this industry everyone is self-taught to some extent. Programming is a learning-by-doing type of activity so by "self teaching" you really don't gain anything than someone who went to school didn't get. Organized education is however set up in an organized way by people who are well versed in teaching, which is a skill in itself, and it has standards of quality it has to adhere to. This is something self-teaching just doesn't have.

Not that self-taught programmers can't be good, but from what I've heard from recruiters and managers their dim view is well justified. Even if they know what they know well, their skills tend to be very specific and due their focus on specific implementations rather than using a good understanding of relevant theory to arrive to an application-appropriate implementation, they just understand a single implementation without understanding why it's used and when it's appropriate.

Comment

... proper students ...

​​​
          ​​​

Comment

As for Atmel's AVR, that always seemed like it was primarily made for teaching people assembly language with it's 32 general purpose registers. If that sounds normal, I need to point out that AMD64/x86-64 has only half as many general purpose registers and AVR is an 8 bit architecture. Hence if they should have tried to keep at least one of those to-be-discontinued architectures then it should (IMHO) been AVR seeing how it's still used in education settings and in Arduino kits.
            Come on, register allocation isn't that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Ebay is terrible for sellers. It's super easy to be scammed. Sell it in person for cash or something.
              Kinda hard to get a handle on what it's worth, and the "...or something..." is what's really 'iffy'. Think trading it for a '54 'vette is out of the question?
              Thanks for the 'Ebay' heads-up, though. Deeply appreciated.

Comment

The bounty for porting the AVR backend is live! https://www.bountysource.com/issues/...uture-releases

Comment

Whoops yeah 68000, misread after long day. Thanks.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X