Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timofonic
    replied
    Objective-C will die, Swift is there to stay.

GNUstep has no reason to exist, it always has been a joke.

This is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Probably true and I imagine that once Swift has disappeared, Apple will get back to Objective-C as a first class citizen.
    Why do you think Swift will disappear?

I haven't studied it in detail, but it looks like a nice language. IIRC, GC is even optional in it, so it can potentially compete with C++, C & Rust for those applications where a GC is problematic / undesirable.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

and GCC's support for recent Objective-C is not as robust (i.e. it is lacking features) as compared to LLVM,
    Probably true and I imagine that once Swift has disappeared, Apple will get back to Objective-C as a first class citizen.

However for GNUstep, if the GCC support for Objective-C seems to not be good enough, it means that GNUstep are obviously over-consuming features and should stick to some slightly more calm code. They don't need to use the latest and greatest Objective-C feature, and to be honest, chasing features from a commercial company like this is quite likely going to lead to fatigue of the project.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Kind of ironic to see a GNU project deprecating compilation under a GNU compiler.
    I consider it more pragmatic than ironic. GNUstep is about the frameworks, and not the compiler, and GCC's support for recent Objective-C is not as robust (i.e. it is lacking features) as compared to LLVM, which should surprise, well, no one.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Typo? "If they had an interesting developer" -> interested developer?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Kind of ironic to see a GNU project deprecating compilation under a GNU compiler.

Leave a comment:

• Candy
    replied
    It's good to see that niche systems give niche compilers a chance to mature. On all modern Linux systems we stay with gcc because that's what everyone uses.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It makes sense to me - it takes a good amount of engineering resources to add good quality language support to a compiler, and if you don't have it, the only good choice is to use what's already there.

Leave a comment:

• GNUstep Might Deprecate Support For GNU's GCC In Favor Of LLVM Clang

Phoronix: GNUstep Might Deprecate Support For GNU's GCC In Favor Of LLVM Clang

GNUstep, the longstanding GNU Project implementing Apple's Cocoa frameworks, might end up deprecating support for the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) to focus its compiler support on LLVM's Clang...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X