Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP 7.4 Performance Benchmarks Show A Nice Improvement - But PHP 8.0-dev Is Running Even Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.4 Performance Benchmarks Show A Nice Improvement - But PHP 8.0-dev Is Running Even Faster

Phoronix: PHP 7.4 Performance Benchmarks Show A Nice Improvement - But PHP 8.0-dev Is Running Even Faster

PHP 7.4 is due to be released next week as the annual major iteration to PHP7. Like we have seen through the PHP7 releases, while new features continue to be tacked on for this popular web-based programming language the performance has continued evolving. Here are the latest benchmarks of PHP 5.6 through PHP 7.4 while also looking at the PHP 8.0-dev performance that is in development on Git master.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should rewrite it in Rust, and then run in microservice containers through kubernetes with nodejs as a backend and webassembly frontend,using actor model. There, I said it.

Comment

Leave PHP alone, its great as it is. It wasn't always great but it has become quite amazing over the years. No wonder over 30% of the web runs on it.

Nodejs is a security risk on its own, with lots of garbage code, no thanks. WASM is only interesting to those who want to hide malicious code, again no thanks. We already run PHP in microservice containers, written in PHP itself hah!

Comment

Need a benchmark comparison Node.js vs PHP vs Golang vs Java vs Python vs Ruby vs IDK turbo pascal? Just for the lols

Also:
        Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        ... No wonder over 30% of the web runs on it.
        Yo are not wrong at all, but damn if your numbers are conservative; currently PHP powers over 70% of the Web easily, according to Wappalyzer, BuiltWith and W3Techs 2019 stats.

Comment

My mistake, you are indeed right. I had something else in mind, wordpress has 30% usage of the entire internet, at least thats what wordpress itself says

These days, I like python as well, I use it for various GTK+3 projects as a GUI language.

Originally posted by ireri View Post
          Yo are not wrong at all, but damn if your numbers are conservative; currently PHP powers over 70% of the Web easily, according to Wappalyzer, BuiltWith and W3Techs 2019 stats.

Comment

Leave PHP alone, its great as it is.
            lol

It wasn't always great but it has become quite amazing over the years.
            lol

No wonder over 30% of the web runs on it.
            No wonder over 95% of users run on Windows!

Nodejs is a security risk on its own,
            What?

with lots of garbage code
            Indeed.

WASM is only interesting to those who want to hide malicious code, again no thanks.
            ... How is wasm related to node?

We already run PHP in microservice containers, written in PHP itself hah!
            ok

Comment

too many lol's make you a lol guy

Comment

I haven't coded in PHP for years. I used to like coding in PHP, but then moved on to C# on ASP.NET. After that I used to thing PHP a poor, inconsistent, terrible hacked-together language only relevant by the insane popularity of WordPress.
                There might have been some truth in that, but since then, PHP has seen huge improvements and advancements, and I think it deserves to be reevaluated.

Huge performance improvements, the Composer package manager, the PHP-FIG with the PSR standards, the optional typing, traits, etc. It's all very nice things that makes PHP much more attractive than it was.

If there is anything bad to say about PHP it is:
                • For historical reasons the global namespace is polluted with too many functions.
                • For historical reasons many functions are inconsistently named (some with underscore, some without).
                • For historical reasons there are functions return weird error codes such as -1 instead of throwing exceptions.
                • There are no async/await keywords, neither are there any support for promises.
                • There is no application server.
                • The object orientation is limited, and does not include data types (strings, integers, etc).

These days, I like python as well, I use it for various GTK+3 projects as a GUI language.
                I also use Python for GTK 3 projects. It is rather nice because Python is much more easier to use than C, and it just works out-of-the-box on Ubuntu without fetching any development environment, tooling or development libraries.
                Now you write GTK applications in JavaScript too, but I haven't tried that. The GNOME Maps application is written in JavaScript. So then you could use TypeScript too and transcompile that into JavaScript, maybe that would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

If there is anything bad to say about PHP it is:
                  • For historical reasons the global namespace is polluted with too many functions.
                  • For historical reasons many functions are inconsistently named (some with underscore, some without).
                  • For historical reasons there are functions return weird error codes such as -1 instead of throwing exceptions.
                  • There are no async/await keywords, neither are there any support for promises.
                  • There is no application server.
                  • The object orientation is limited, and does not include data types (strings, integers, etc).
                  There is PHP-FPM now, and PHP it self can self host, to a limited degree. The thing is which PHP, its not a persistent application, so doing a async/await isnt really needed. And with no real threading model, it would be pretty hard to implement. And there are extensions that can kind of do that.
                  As for data types, the types system is getting pretty advanced, https://wiki.php.net/rfc

Comment

Originally posted by MrEcho View Post

There is PHP-FPM now, and PHP it self can self host, to a limited degree. The thing is which PHP, its not a persistent application, so doing a async/await isnt really needed. And with no real threading model, it would be pretty hard to implement. And there are extensions that can kind of do that.
                    As for data types, the types system is getting pretty advanced, https://wiki.php.net/rfc
                    But I might want to do things like; accept a request, send a mail, post a webhook, and notify a service bus, and return a response, but I wouldn't want the client have to wait for things like sending mail, webhook or notifying a service before before it can receive a response.
                    Or I might want WebSockets.

Comment

Working...
                    X