Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Patches Wire In C++20 Coroutines For The GCC Compiler

Phoronix: Initial Patches Wire In C++20 Coroutines For The GCC Compiler

The GNU Compiler Collection continues picking up new features aligned for the upcoming C++20 standard. The latest are patches pending on the mailing list for implementing coroutines in C++...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How is C++ these days, and C++20?
    Is all the criticism warranted? Have the language improved and fixed what people have been complaining about?
    Or is it still terribly confusing to the point that professionals don't have any idea what they are doing?

Does it still have a place, or is Rust just a better alternative?

Comment

It definitely has a place, it became simpler to write and harder to make mistakes if you follow a few sensible guidelines.
      The language got better in a lot of aspects and it can be teached as a modern language ... still keeps compatibility with C but if you don't focus on that you can pretty much write cleaner code, learn it faster and use it in a much easier way than before.
      I also believe it's much friendlier to beginners (again unless you have a teacher hellbent on teaching you the C part ... which is a horrible mistake made to make people fear the language).
      Personally I love the recent developments, and I'm happy with the speed the language is progressing and the direction of the improvements.
      Also the standard library became a lot more usable with each iteration and it's looking like that will not stop going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Or is it still terribly confusing to the point that professionals don't have any idea what they are doing?
        It's confusing and needs something like this to manage the historic baggage.

Comment

How is C++ these days, and C++20?
          Is all the criticism warranted? Have the language improved and fixed what people have been complaining about?[/QUOTE]
          Hows the saying, there are two kinds of languages, ones people complain about and ones noone uses?
          Progress is slow, would be my critism, but on the other hand you don't end up with half of your std library deprecated (java, C#),
          or with the complete clusterf* thats Python2/3.

How so?

Does it still have a place, or is Rust just a better alternative?
          Well, lets see if Rust still has a place in 10, maybe 20 years. Some people wanted to rewrite everything in Java when this was the new thing.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Progress is slow, would be my critism, but on the other hand you don't end up with half of your std library deprecated (java, C#),
            or with the complete clusterf* thats Python2/3.

Well, lets see if Rust still has a place in 10, maybe 20 years. Some people wanted to rewrite everything in Java when this was the new thing.
            C# is just a language, the standard library is in the .NET platform.
            I don't know about Java, but I don't think .NET have so many deprecated APIs. Although HttpClient is a more modern alternative to the old WebRequest.

As for Python, it was needed to do something to address the shortcomings of Python 2, it had terrible handling of Unicode. Python 3 is so much better.

As for people rewriting C++ code to Java, well Java is still here today, so I guess it wasn't such a bad decision.

Comment

As for people rewriting C++ code to Java, well Java is still here today, so I guess it wasn't such a bad decision.
              That was a very lenient requirement, or optimistic, or rather strange

Comment

Not just around, but also the second most popular language to write in after JavaScript. The performance also improved massively since the early days, so I'd say it was a great decision.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  Not just around, but also the second most popular language to write in after JavaScript.
                  For what it's worth, I believe Python just took 2nd place.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

For what it's worth, I believe Python just took 2nd place.
                    On Github or wherever, but I was thinking deployed code.

Comment

Working...
                    X