Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    How is C++ these days, and C++20?
    Is all the criticism warranted?
    what criticism?
    Have the language improved
    language improves with every release
    and fixed what people have been complaining about?
    i have no idea what unnamed people complained about
    Or is it still terribly confusing to the point that professionals don't have any idea what they are doing?
    it was never like that
    Does it still have a place,
    world is running on c++. including rust compiler
    or is Rust just a better alternative?
    rust isn't an alternative to c++, so it can't be better alternative. maybe rust is an alternative to java or c#
    Last edited by pal666; 19 November 2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
      The performance also improved massively since the early days, so I'd say it was a great decision.
      massive improvement from early java days is very low bar

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        It's confusing and needs something like this to manage the historic baggage.
        lol, not to manage historic baggage, but to (quoting next comment after your) "you don't end up with half of your std library deprecated (java, C#),
        or with the complete clusterf* thats Python2/3."
        and your link is a proposal, it is not part of language (yet)

Comment

Python 3 is so much better.
          every new c++ release is so much better, and at the same time it does not split language into two incompatible branches where every library has to have two variants now
          btw, my current project involves tensorflow. so i'm aware that python isn't worth much without c++(see, no rust here)
          Last edited by pal666; 18 November 2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            rust isn't an alternative to c++, so it can't be better alternative. maybe rust is an alternative to java or c#
            This in particular got me. Why do you think Rust isn't an alternative to C++ of all things?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              This in particular got me. Why do you think Rust isn't an alternative to C++ of all things?
              why do you think it is c++ alternative when its main feature is safety (read java or c#) ?
              because someone told you it is c++ alternative? well, go authors thought go is c++ alternative, in reality it attracts only python devs

Comment

why do you think it is c++ alternative when its main feature is safety (read java or c#) ?
                because someone told you it is c++ alternative? well, go authors thought go is c++ alternative, in reality it attracts only python devs
                I think it's a C++ alternative because it can do anything that C++ can do (with a different syntax of course) as of today. It's the most literal definition of an alternative you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  I think it's a C++ alternative because it can do anything that C++ can do
                  no, it can't. "it is turing complete too" doesn't cut it. btw you are implying that it can only do anything that c++ can do, but not anything that java or c# can do. so i'm curious, what is it lacking
                  Last edited by pal666; 19 November 2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                    It's confusing and needs something like this to manage the historic baggage.
                    sorry for second reply. i actually managed to read it and want to thank you for sharing it.
                    and laugh because that proposal states it is inspired by similar rust feature.
                    which means rust was confusing even before c++

Comment

no, it can't. "it is turing complete too" doesn't cut it. btw you are implying that it can only do anything that c++ can do, but not anything that java or c# can do. so i'm curious, what is it lacking
                      You can't just say "no it can't" and not provide any examples or reasons why "it can't". What can C++ do that Rust cannot?

Comment

Working...
                      X