Rust 1.39 Released With Async-Await Support, Attributes On Function Parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    Async await is pure cancer no matter the language. It makes code convoluting, error handling becomes flimsy and cumbersome. Implementing a proper monadic interface is the way to go.
    Async/await is just sugar over promises to make them look synchronous, and promises are monads.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed, it doesn't work well in game loops or other real-time systems.

It was only invented and became popular because of the limitations of web browser environments. If Javascript interpreters were correctly multithreaded from the start and didn't freeze the browser on a tightloop, callbacks calling callbacks calling callbacks would remain a niche clusterfsck left entirely to amateurs.
    This is clueless, the web is a completely different environment with different needs. Your biggest problem as a web developer is blocking I/O, so how does multithreading solve that? Are you going to make a new thread for every request? There is a reason Node is high performance despite being single-threaded. Btw, nested callbacks are not a thing in JS anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

The way it's been implemented in Rust is virtually no different from writing traditional synchronous functions. Error handling is no different than before. The only difference between async and non-async code is the use of the `.await` postfix to begin execution of a future. Unless you start joining futures and spawning tasks, it will execute no differently than traditional synchronous code.

The below async code:

Code:
      let mut buf = String::new();
      File::open(path)
      .await
      .context("failed to open file")?
      .read_to_string(&mut buf)
      .await
      .context("failed to read file");
      Is the same as the identical sync code, minus not being given a choice on how to await a result.

Code:
      let mut buf = String::new();
      File::open(path)
      .context("failed to open file")?
      .read_to_string(&mut buf)
      .context("failed to read file");
      At least with async, you can poll many tasks simultaneously, instead of waiting for one task to complete before beginning the next.
      With a monadic approach you just use callbacks, and your code becomes MUCH cleaner. You don't need to write awkward error handling code, and your code will become pretty short.

Comment

Some guys here are confusing multi-threading with asynchronicity. Asynchronous code can still be single-threaded.

The idea behind asynchronous code is to not block the CPU pointlessly waiting for some result (e.g. of an I/O operation) when you could continue doing other, actually useful things.

Comment

Hm... async/await is nice but it's just (simple) concurrent programming. I was really hoping they'd bring the actor model to Rust as a way to do concurrent and parallel computing, the language is already functional and should lend itself very well to it.
          Last edited by Anarchy; 09 November 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

@Anarchy: it's supposed to be simple, that way you have minimal overhead.
            You can still build actor model frameworks in rust, but I see no reason to include that directly in the language.

Comment

With a monadic approach you just use callbacks, and your code becomes MUCH cleaner. You don't need to write awkward error handling code, and your code will become pretty short.
              In what way would callbacks be cleaner here? Callbacks were how futures were created before async/await, and it was a catastrophe to compose and maintain.

Comment

In what way would callbacks be cleaner here? Callbacks were how futures were created before async/await, and it was a catastrophe to compose and maintain.
                Take a look at a pseudo monadic approach like Promise from ES2015, where you don't need to nest things to have a complex chain of async operations. It's much cleaner than async/await.

Comment

Take a look at a pseudo monadic approach like Promise from ES2015, where you don't need to nest things to have a complex chain of async operations. It's much cleaner than async/await.
                  Do you have any examples? Everything I've seen demonstrates they're no different from composing futures in Rust pre-async/await, which was a composability nightmare for anything more complex than a small demo.

Comment

Do you have any examples? Everything I've seen demonstrates they're no different from composing futures in Rust pre-async/await, which was a composability nightmare for anything more complex than a small demo.
                    Writing these on a loonix shitposting forum is pointless, so consider that a no. It requires a good grasp on monads to use Promise efficiently, and nowadays I'm not in the mood to put up with ECMA-262 without getting paid. There are lots of more fun languages that I can spend my time writing in.

Comment

First of all, futures and promises are exactly the same thing, in that promise is just another name for a future. Rust futures, however, have an absolutely hideous syntax. I can see why async/await is a godsend here. In JavaScript, promises are actually easier to understand (imo) and nicer than async/await because I actually WANT an obvious syntactic difference between async/sync code. When I see a chain of thens, I know I am dealing with an asynchronous pipeline. I can continue to chain them as long as I want, and the error handling will deal with anything that bubbles up in the process.

As for an example in JS:
                      Code:
                      grabUserFromDB(username)
                        .then(getFriends)
                        .then(getHealthRecords)
                        .catch(err => processErr);
                      Absolutely trivial, beautiful code. And of course if your functions are rather short you can simply inline them in this fashion:

Code:
                      grabUserFromDB(username)
                        .then(user => user.name.toUpperCase())
                        .catch(err => processErr);

Comment

Working...
                      X