Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Toolchain Moves Ahead In Obsoleting Solaris 10 Support

Phoronix: GNU Toolchain Moves Ahead In Obsoleting Solaris 10 Support

Beyond GCC 9 having deprecated Solaris 10 support and that code now removed ahead of the GCC 10 release in a few months, the GNU Debugger (GDB) is also moving forward with its plan to obsolete Solaris 10...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...U-Debugger-Dep

I wonder how this will affect Illumos? (Omni OS / Smart OS)

I didn't know it at the time.. but let the record show that Solaris 10 was the best Unix release ever made. ZFS, Zones, Crossbow.. it was way ahead of it's time having virtualized container, network and filesystem technologies that are just now becoming popular on Linux and FreeBSD 10 years later.

R.I.P. Solaris 10

Comment

Every time I had to use Solaris (or, in fact any Unix) I was always struck at how many papercuts the development environment had in comparison to Linux.

I suppose it is the whole million eyes bazaar that Linus embraced.

Still Solaris did a lot of great innovations, unfortunately it didn't get critical mass post Oracle, unlike LibreOffice.

Comment

Solaris 10 is one of those cult classic versions of UNIX that will keep cropping up.

For example it is rare to see a Debian 4.x in the wild but Solaris 10 is relatively common. I am pretty sure that when Debian 8 is rare to see in the wild, you will still see an occasional Solaris 10.

And yet Solaris 9, Solaris 8 is completely dead. It is even very hard to get running in an Emulator, let alone a Virtualizer.

That said, I like Solaris 10. If you install it via UFS rather than ZFS then it is actually very nice in an emulator for pretty much everything but 3D graphics. The Oracle Developer Studio C++ compiler (SunCC) is also pretty decent to use with it and the debugger DBX is one of the best I have used (The Java / Netbeans IDE is naff though).

Comment

Goodbye, old friend. I think it best we keep it at memories. Thank you for ZFS.

Comment

It's time to face it. The Sun died a long time ago, when the Oracle killed it. Anyone still clinging to the dream has to face the music sooner or later.

The current ecosystems leave much to be desired. We are in a dark age of computing. When you find yourself walking in hell, keep walking. Some other ecosystem will rise, one which isn't infinitely bloated and non-compliant to it's own specifications. And I'm not talking about linux, apple or windows.

Comment

Just to confirm what we all already knew, Solaris is dead.

Comment

I don't see anyone raging about this.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  I don't see anyone raging about this.
                  What is your point? Solaris had plenty of fans that were enraged at the Oracle treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Just to confirm what we all already knew, Solaris is dead.
                    Well, any version more than 7 years old is dead. Not quite the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X