Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 10 Has C++20 Concepts Support In Order

Phoronix: GCC 10 Has C++20 Concepts Support In Order

The original C++ Concepts technical specification has been supported by the GNU Compiler Collection since GCC 6, but for GCC 10 the latest C++20 enablement is supporting that refined version of this feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do developers think about this?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I guess you mean the concepts in C++ rather than its support in gcc.

The most permissive templates in the standard library will probably continue to spit pages and pages of error messages, hopefully with more descriptive information (but I'm not entirely sure...). The real advantage comes when they are used to impose strict constraints on the template parameters, so it's up to the libraries implementers to make them useful.

Comment

One of the most useful additions in a long time, the only downside is that is more or less a "breaking change", means unless you drop support of earlier versions you will have the template declaration twice.
        I guess the most important stuff for C++20 is contracts, concepts and modules. Every one of them brings big changes, dropping alot of endlessly reinvented schemes for a clean replacement - and don't have easy fallbacks if you use them correctly.
        The language can improve massively with them, but I guess it will be until another revision until there is enough inertia until devs will fully utilize those.

Btw, if you aren't a developer, why do you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          I guess the most important stuff for C++20 is contracts, concepts and modules.
          I'm afraid that contracts didn't make it into C++20.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

And modules look muddy with three incompatible implementations, and will likely require at least one more standard iteration before it is can be used by cross-platform code.

So just concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
              Yikes, I thought I remember this being far along and accepted. I would then consider C++23 (or whatever's next) to be my breaking point when I drop C++11/c++17 fallbacks. Concepts alone dont warrant this for me.

Comment

C++ concepts is equivalent to traits in Rust, right?

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  C++ concepts is equivalent to traits in Rust, right?
                  The idea is very similar.

Comment

templates without concepts are like void pointers in c

Comment

Working...
                    X