Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rspamd 2.0 Released For Advancing Free Software Spam Filtering

Phoronix: Rspamd 2.0 Released For Advancing Free Software Spam Filtering

Rspamd 2.0 has been released as the newest version of this leading open-source spam filtering software and it's coming with plenty of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Rspamd 2.0 drops its external libevent usage to its own bundled libev implementation,
    Good to hear. libevent has an unstable API.

Comment

But how does it compare to the false classification rate of gmail? Can't we just ban all email not using OpenPGP/DKIM/DNSSEC/SPF/etc like how google forced https on everyone by down ranking http only sites.

Comment

KANN library has been last updated over 9 months ago. In the days of GPUs, FPGA and custom silicon for neural networks, this library is CPU-only and I wonder why. Are they sure this is a good replacement? Are they forking KANN and make it use non-CPU hardware too? They already did minor changes in June and July, as you can see here.

Why not TensorFlow? It can use the GPU, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          But how does it compare to the false classification rate of gmail? Can't we just ban all email not using OpenPGP/DKIM/DNSSEC/SPF/etc like how google forced https on everyone by down ranking http only sites.
          I've been meaning to set up something a little more elegant for years but I'm still having trouble finding the time:
          1. Give every sender their own e-mail alias to send to. Treat them as revokable API keys. (This part, I already do using SpamGourmet and/or manually managed aliases on ssokolow.com)
          2. Use a custom milter to bounce messages where the sender on the incoming message doesn't match the sender the e-mail address was given to.
          3. In the bounce message, include instructions for requesting that your anomalous message get let through anyway. (ie. a CAPTCHA.)
          4. Require unsolicited messages from strangers to be submitted through an HTML form that does some more traditional spam checks. (At the moment, I'm doing fine just forbidding things like HTML/bbcode link tags, the same URL appearing more than once, and e-mail addresses outside the "your e-mail address" field. If someone needs to tell me someone else's e-mail address, they can wait for me to reply and then send it in their second message, which will be a normal e-mail reply.)
          5. Use the custom milter to rewrite outgoing messages so that the mail client doesn't need to be aware of the fancy system and sending someone an e-mail will automatically establish a From address for them to reply to.
          6. Write a simple browser extension to add a "Create e-mail address" entry to the context menu for HTML form fields, which also establishes the new alias in a special mode which will cause it to lock its allowed sender to whichever domain it receives the first e-mail from.
          7. As a last resort, have a GMail-esque self-expiring spam bin for each alias that can be browsed for situations such as "site sends e-mail verification e-mails and other communications from different domains."
          SPF to ensure sender domains are reliable plus this kind of "whitelist system with a viable UX" approach is my "What now?" answer to the arms race that has developed around Bayesian classification since Paul Graham championed it over hand-written rules in the early 2000s.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 12 October 2019, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X