DAV1D vs. LIBGAV1 Performance - Benchmarking Google's New AV1 Video Decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
    https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d/issues/215 If you look here dav1d on arm32 is not done Yet and if you look on the Merge requests it is Work in Progress
    I don't really get the point, though. Any CPU that's fast enough to decode it with ARMv7 is going to be a 64-bit core. Right now, Pi is probably one of the main reasons for continued interest in ARMv7. However, as both the v3 and v4 hardware are 64-bit capable, I think it's only a matter of time before Raspbian goes 64-bit.

They would have to get a few multiples of performance improvements to enable even 1080p decode on any true 32-bit ARM cores, and even that is only going to work on the few, fastest ones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      I don't really get the point, though. Any CPU that's fast enough to decode it with ARMv7 is going to be a 64-bit core. Right now, Pi is probably one of the main reasons for continued interest in ARMv7. However, as both the v3 and v4 hardware are 64-bit capable, I think it's only a matter of time before Raspbian goes 64-bit.

They would have to get a few multiples of performance improvements to enable even 1080p decode on any true 32-bit ARM cores, and even that is only going to work on the few, fastest ones out there.
      Applying those two merge requests for dav1d (and compiling with LTO), I get 24 fps on the 1080p "Summer Nature" demo, on a 32-bit ARM CPU. NEON support in dav1d is nowhere near complete, and scalability work is definitely [hopefully] not finished, so one day it might be possible to watch 1080p AV1, but 720p probably already plays okay today.

And why do you say "even 1080p"? 720p and 480p are still things which exist, and they aren't going away any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sturmen View Post

Especially with regards to AV1: the same philosophy that begot SVT-AV1/rav1e/libaom. A single piece of software shouldn't be everything to everyone. People should be free to pursue different approaches ("Write it in Rust!" "Assembly for every supported platform!" "Portable C only!" "Do it JavaScript!") without being told how to to spend their time, and this exploration lets different projects learn from each other: they can adopt what works & ignore what flounders.
        The problem is that as far as we can tell, they haven't really done anything different and dav1d is already VERY good.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          The problem is that as far as we can tell, they haven't really done anything different and dav1d is already VERY good.
          OMG. How dare they duplicate effort. Marx would be horrified!

You should buy some Alphabet stock, go to the next shareholder meeting, and get a vote going to put a stop to this utter nonsense!

Comment

there is a first single thread test of libgav1 vs libaom vs dav1d https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comments/dfga7z/av1_decoder_comparison_2019oct7_libgav1_libaom/

on the Raspberry Pi 4 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1359401180
            Last edited by Toggleton; 09 October 2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              OMG. How dare they duplicate effort. Marx would be horrified!

You should buy some Alphabet stock, go to the next shareholder meeting, and get a vote going to put a stop to this utter nonsense!
              Uh, are you okay?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Uh, are you okay?
                I'm great! What's not is that duplication of effort you cite. That nonsense should be criminal, amiright? Such a waste of resources!

While, we're at it, we should probably outlaw all opensource OS' besides Linux. One opensource OS should be enough for everybody.

Comment

Working...
                X