Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 12 Released As Newest Update To "World's Most Advanced Open-Source DB"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

SMSS is SQL Server Management Studio, a software by Microsoft. Microsoft also have Azure Data Studio (previously named SQL Operations Studio).

Oh this DBeaver looks rather nice.
    There is also an handy flatpak package here: https://flathub.org/apps/details/io....eaverCommunity

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    What I truly hate about postgresql is that if you use LDAP auth, you always have to pre-create the local roles on each and every instance for each and every LDAP user, before they can login. Quite ridiculous.

Limiting access based on LDAP group membership is also PITA and makes the implementation feel more like a PoC than an actual finished product.

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    Azure Data Studio also has a Postgres extension, but it doesn't see much development nowadays. The application itself is based on Code.

Leave a comment:

• pepoluan
    replied

SMSS is SQL Server Management Studio, a software by Microsoft. Microsoft also have Azure Data Studio (previously named SQL Operations Studio).

I've been using DBeaver for some time. You'll come to love it :-)

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post

I fully agree about pgAdmin
    What is SSMS?

Have you tried DBeaver? It's a nice pgAdmin alternative.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
    I don't really like pgAdmin, especially the web version (SSMS is much better).
    I fully agree about pgAdmin
    What is SSMS?

Have you tried DBeaver? It's a nice pgAdmin alternative.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    What is your favorite thing about PostgreSQL?

What is your favorite thing in another database that you miss in PostgreSQL?
    My favourite feature is its reliability: I've been using PostgreSQL since version 7 and I've never missed a single row!
    The only thing I miss is a nice toolset a-la Oracle SQLDeveloper. pgAdmin is ugly af!
    Last edited by cynic; 05 October 2019, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    I believe it's the only database JITing queries, etc.
    SQL Server would beg to differ. But of course, that doesn't make PostgreSQL less great.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    World's most advanced open-source database? How did they come to that conclusion?

I use MariaDB and it works really well (plus has broad support in regards to Spigot plugins).
    This has been a truism for many years, and you can see it's so from feature comparisons such as this:

PostgreSQL is still the only db with serializable snapshot isolation, it was the first database (open source or proprietary) to include k-nearest neighbor search, I believe it's the only database JITing queries, etc.

MariaDB is fine, but on the technical front it still lacks things like timezone support, parallel queries, partial indexes, writeable CTEs, arrays, range types, materialized views, user-defined types, etc. that PostgreSQL has and which make it the most advanced open-source database.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    What is your favorite thing about PostgreSQL?

What is your favorite thing in another database that you miss in PostgreSQL?
    My favorite things are that you can write procedures in other languages such as Python (as well as R, Javascript, etc.) and Foreign Data Wrappers enable you to treat anything you want as a database (with the right wrapper you can query, gmail, a stock price website, etc. with SQL).

At this point I don't think I miss anything from another database, other than of course it's not embeddable like SQLite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X