Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 12 Released As Newest Update To "World's Most Advanced Open-Source DB"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 12 Released As Newest Update To "World's Most Advanced Open-Source DB"

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 12 Released As Newest Update To "World's Most Advanced Open-Source DB"

As was anticipated, PostgreSQL 12.0 is now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is your favorite thing about PostgreSQL?

What is your favorite thing in another database that you miss in PostgreSQL?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It's written in C, not C++ like MySQL/MariaDB, not sure if this is or can be necessarily a bad or a good thing.

Comment

PostGIS is awesome, and it has pretty much every feature you might want, from JSON and XML to full-text search. It had window functions and hash and merge joins long before MySQL, but that's probably moot now.

I missed Inline CTEs (they've been added in 12) and included columns (added in 11) from SQL Server. Automatically clustered indexes are not implemented yet. I don't really like pgAdmin, especially the web version (SSMS is much better). There are some performance cliffs when using functions, and the PL/pgSQL syntax is kinda' meh. It could probably do with better OS integration like threads and pread/write support (EDIT: that's also in 12).
        Last edited by GrayShade; 04 October 2019, 04:49 AM.

Comment

First up - Good Questions!

I don't have any one "favourite" thing about postgres - it's more a "it just works really and there are answers to all the questions I ask" situation.

The things I miss in comparison to MySQL are the ease of use things. e.g. MySQL (at least had when I was last using it) really nice official GUI tools for design and dev. MySQL is also a little more lax on what you can do (one example: in MySQL you can select columns not in a group by and you can abuse that quite nicely - Postgres makes you use windowing functions and other bits which makes that more complex).

Comment

World's most advanced open-source database? How did they come to that conclusion?

I use MariaDB and it works really well (plus has broad support in regards to Spigot plugins).

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

It's written in C, not C++ like MySQL/MariaDB, not sure if this is or can be necessarily a bad or a good thing.
              It is a good and a bad thing at the same time.

C may be faster than C++, but C++ is safer and easier to maintain.

Comment

Its documentation.

Comment

My favorite things are that you can write procedures in other languages such as Python (as well as R, Javascript, etc.) and Foreign Data Wrappers enable you to treat anything you want as a database (with the right wrapper you can query, gmail, a stock price website, etc. with SQL).

At this point I don't think I miss anything from another database, other than of course it's not embeddable like SQLite.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    World's most advanced open-source database? How did they come to that conclusion?

I use MariaDB and it works really well (plus has broad support in regards to Spigot plugins).
                    This has been a truism for many years, and you can see it's so from feature comparisons such as this:

PostgreSQL is still the only db with serializable snapshot isolation, it was the first database (open source or proprietary) to include k-nearest neighbor search, I believe it's the only database JITing queries, etc.

MariaDB is fine, but on the technical front it still lacks things like timezone support, parallel queries, partial indexes, writeable CTEs, arrays, range types, materialized views, user-defined types, etc. that PostgreSQL has and which make it the most advanced open-source database.

Comment

Working...
                    X