Google Is Uncovering Hundreds Of Race Conditions Within The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Is Uncovering Hundreds Of Race Conditions Within The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Google Is Uncovering Hundreds Of Race Conditions Within The Linux Kernel

One of the contributions Google is working on for the upstream Linux kernel is a new "sanitizer". Over the years Google has worked on AddressSanitizer for finding memory corruption bugs, UndefinedBehaviorSanitizer for undefined behavior within code, and other sanitizers. The Linux kernel has been exposed to this as well as other open-source projects while their newest sanitizer is KCSAN and focused as a Kernel Concurrency Sanitizer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. Let's hope some of them are responsible for the Mesa hangs with my AMD card!

Comment

so is Google evil or not??

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        Wow, that's a narrow minded approach. Google spans multiple countries, multiple teams, with multiple targets.
        So, undoubtedly there will be people that do good, and people that do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

Wow, that's a narrow minded approach. Google spans multiple countries, multiple teams, with multiple targets.
          So, undoubtedly there will be people that do good, and people that do evil.
          Well, following that any positive value (good) multiplied by a negative (evil) becomes negative, it would mean Google is evil

Comment

Could be, could be… Personally I think they are a public company, and there is no such thing as a public company that's goal is to do "good".
            So often they end up doing more evil than good by accident/arrogance.

Comment

If you would read more carefully there may be false positives as well.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                Self interest, they make extensive use of the Linux kernel. I think I'm correct in this quote and attributing it to something Torvalds said..."I do the most selfless of things for the most selfish reasons" or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Well, following that any positive value (good) multiplied by a negative (evil) becomes negative, it would mean Google is evil
                  Well,.. depends if number of negative contributions to the world is odd or even. Negative value multiplied by negative value becomes positive value ;-)

Comment

Good, concurrency bugs are some of the worst and most difficult to debug. The only way to reduce them is by proper planning and design during the software development stage.

Comment

Working...
                    X