Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 12 Due Out Tomorrow With Better Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Fair point.
    Tho, you could check through commandline where's the binary located at or just try "man createuser" and see what would be written in it's 'man' file.
    Sure I could, there are always things I could do, like read the source code for undocumented features, and such. But I shouldn't have to. The PostgreSQL user space has a problem with it being inconsistent and non-intuitive.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post

      Sure I could, there are always things I could do, like read the source code for undocumented features, and such. But I shouldn't have to. The PostgreSQL user space has a problem with it being inconsistent and non-intuitive.
      Even the Book of Murphy's law had a line like "when all else fails, read the manual". Another way to put it is "theory before practice". Don't choose ignorance.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by zboszor View Post

        Even the Book of Murphy's law had a line like "when all else fails, read the manual". Another way to put it is "theory before practice". Don't choose ignorance.
        I do read the manual when everything else fails, and I do not chose ignorance. But the user space is so shitty that you are forced to resort to read the manual. A sane userspace would be well-designed and intuitive. The problem here is not ignorance, it is a poor non-intuitive userspace that places unnecessary burden on the user. It is not user-friendly.

        There is no reason things shouldn't be user-friendly. There is no reason things shouldn't be intuitive.

        It is very lame to have a shitty user space and then blame the user for being ignorant.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post

          I do read the manual when everything else fails, and I do not chose ignorance. But the user space is so shitty that you are forced to resort to read the manual. A sane userspace would be well-designed and intuitive. The problem here is not ignorance, it is a poor non-intuitive userspace that places unnecessary burden on the user. It is not user-friendly.

          There is no reason things shouldn't be user-friendly. There is no reason things shouldn't be intuitive.

          It is very lame to have a shitty user space and then blame the user for being ignorant.
          A mature project can't just rename utilities whose names are in use for 25+ years.
          UNIX is also riddled with such utility names. The "cat" utility is an non-intuitive nickname of "concatenate".
          A variant of "cat" that list file contents in reverse is "tac" and it's also not intuitive at all.

          Or when Dennis Ritchie admitted that his greatest regret about the C language is not spelling "create" in full for the creat() function.
          I am not sure he was joking or that he had to think about machines with very limited amount of RAM where every byte counted.

          The notion of being "user friendly" was very different 20 years ago. There's also a thing called "historical accident". Hindsight is always 20:20.

          If you are so keen on PostgreSQL being user friendly, create a bug report for them asking to rename the so called "inconsistent" utilities and see how your bug report will be weighed against the many existing users. https://www.postgresql.org/account/submitbug/

          Comment

          Working...
          X