Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parallelizing GCC's Internals Continues To Be Worked On & Showing Promising Potential

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    speedup achieved was 1.09 and it still doesn't pass testsuite
    at the cost of some other benefits which they are developing instead, like just faster compilation on one thread. and benefits are not enough to replace parallel invocation, they can only augment it with future work
    From the article: "When taking it further with parallelized RTL, there was a 1.6x speed-up in compile time. That is also "without much optimization" as there is a lot of opportunity left." - these 60 % speed up is the impressive one. Is there still work to do? Sure! But that shows me that there was not a lot of effort previously in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      From the article: "When taking it further with parallelized RTL, there was a 1.6x speed-up in compile time. That is also "without much optimization" as there is a lot of opportunity left." - these 60 % speed up is the impressive one.
      i already said that article is wrong. 1.6 was extrapolation from 1.09. opportunity is left to parallelize larger part of compiler and maybe get 1.6x (on 4 cores, instead of 4x). an fixing bugs preventing passing of testsuite can lower those numbers

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Yeah, these days it's mostly in linker where LLVM compilation stack runs circles around GNU stack.
        Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

ld.gold is several times faster than ld.bfd, but unfortunately ld.gold is making some packages fail to build.
        Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

And lld is even faster still.
        Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

New technologies always require time to become widespread. I am using gcc 8.3 at the moment which does not support -fuse-ld=lld, will evaluate lld when I switch to gcc 9.2+ which does support lld.
        I switched to gcc 9.2 for my projects. -fuse-ld=lld is about 2 times faster than -fuse-ld=gold, while using the option -Wl,--threads in both cases.

Due to a small number of compatibility issues, I am still compiling all Gentoo packages with the default linker (ld.bfd). This usually runs in background, so it mostly doesn't matter whether it takes 0.5 or 2 seconds to link executables/libraries.

Comment

Working...
        X