GCC's Conversion To Git: "Within The Realm Of The Practically Achievable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Wait a minute... so he was able to rent server with, let's sa384 GB RAM, year ago and finish his work year ago, but for some reason choose upgrade his workstation and spend year on conversion tool rewrite? What exactly did I miss?
    The part where DDR4 is significantly cheaper than it was a year or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm still waiting for a typo in your comments to correct it and officially become the King Editor of Phoronix.
      Sorry? What dkes ghis mean?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

The part where DDR4 is significantly cheaper than it was a year or so ago.

Which is pretty much irrelevant at this point. This is a years long controversy that ESR has been the center of. Every time someone asks the status of his pet project there's been some excuse about his hardware being inadequate. Let me say this again: This has been going on for over FOUR years. In that time if ESR had gotten the lead out he'd be done by now no matter his hardware.

What's really sad is that no one else has bothered to dig into the project and just get it done, either. So despite all of ESR's flaws and lack of honest progress, no one else has done anything about it either. So it's obviously not a critical problem and subversion is working well enough, otherwise others would have stepped up and just "got it done" and ignored ESR. After all, there's really nothing stopping anyone else from doing it. The repository is open for anyone to read it out, and once it's converted just pack it up for any of the core group to reupload into an official git server for the project. I realize it's a big project, but ultimately it doesn't take more than one or two skilled individuals, and some purchased cloud time or just a moderately beefy I/O system and time.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Which is pretty much irrelevant at this point. This is a years long controversy that ESR has been the center of. Every time someone asks the status of his pet project there's been some excuse about his hardware being inadequate. Let me say this again: This has been going on for over FOUR years. In that time if ESR had gotten the lead out he'd be done by now no matter his hardware.

What's really sad is that no one else has bothered to dig into the project and just get it done, either. So despite all of ESR's flaws and lack of honest progress, no one else has done anything about it either. So it's obviously not a critical problem and subversion is working well enough, otherwise others would have stepped up and just "got it done" and ignored ESR. After all, there's really nothing stopping anyone else from doing it. The repository is open for anyone to read it out, and once it's converted just pack it up for any of the core group to reupload into an official git server for the project. I realize it's a big project, but ultimately it doesn't take more than one or two skilled individuals, and some purchased cloud time or just a moderately beefy I/O system and time.
          If I recall correctly, there was another attempt that was reported about here in Phoronix, but I think ESR objected to it because it only concerned itself with getting the migration done, and not with trying to "port" every little scrap of information from subversion into a git equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It might have taken longer than one year to finish with the old tool.
            Yeah it's going to take a while to get rid of ESR. Oh, you were talking about reposurgeon...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sorry? What dkes ghis mean?
              Okay, this does not count.

But someday... someday.

Comment

This guy is so annoying... Especially when you see that absolutely crappy code and yet the guy gets sponsored with hardware for a horrible work and continuous complaining about his hardware being to weak.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  why write less resource hungry program when you can wait one year and buy 128gb server
                  He did not buy it. After non-stop complaining that his hardware is to weak, System76 donated a 32 Core, 128GB RAM machine. Since then, after more than 1 year, he is still "porting" his code to Go, because you see, copying code into another language requires an expensive machine and more than 1 year...
                  Also, for some reason he says it is "16 core" now(he said that it has "64 threads" before)...

Comment

I think we can now officially crown ESR as the "Master of Procrastination" because this passed the point of ridiculousness by about the time he started re-implementing reposurgeon in Go and is now well into the realm of the farcical. Either get on with it or give up.

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    Why is this reposurgeon tool needed at all? There have been other projects that migrated to git just fine, without the need for special stuff.
                    Because they want to move the whole version history over to Git too. Most projects are much more pragmatic and chose some fairly recent stable release as the starting point and then re-apply patches and split off branches from there. The GCC project want to bring in the whole SVN version history, branches and all, starting from the early 2000s which means that we're talking about over 15 years of version history for a very large and active project.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      Wait a minute... so he was able to rent server with, let's say 384 GB RAM, year ago and finish his work year ago, but for some reason choose upgrade his workstation and spend year on conversion tool rewrite? What exactly did I miss?
                      He gets free hardware

Comment

Working...
                      X