Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Makes Their C++ Standard Library Open-Source (STL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I never investigated this, and I somehow doubt your statement at face value. Who took the time to look at the authors of dozens of manuals
    I had to in prep particular course material horrible requirement of independent sources of information. It came quite shocking how few of the books were truly independent once you were forced to look at author histories when selecting books on MS Office. I would not have known was not required todo that.

Comment

I know I'm so late, but:

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Actual competition.

Casuals don't need Windows and can get away with using Android/Apple tablets & Chromebooks.
      I agree.

Gamers don't need Windows and can get away with using Linux, Wine, & Proton for a lot of our stuff that isn't mass multiplayer.
      False. Gamers don't feel like installing compatibility layers just to get their games working on Linux. They'd rather just use Windows (plus it often comes pre-installed in their computers).

Professionals don't need Windows and can get away with using Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc while tossing Windows in a VM for the 2 legacy things they need Windows for.
      Do they really feel like setting up a VM just for 2 applications?

Office workers don't need Windows and can get away with any OS that has a functional desktop and web browser thanks to all the online office suites and web programs.
      Partially true. Sadly, I think native programs deliver more functionality than their web counterparts.

Graphics designers/video editors don't need Windows and can get away with Linux or OSX.
      False. Hardcore video/graphics software not available under Linux:
      - Photoshop
      - Many video editors out there (there are some exceptions such as Nuke, DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks but they're pro-grade software)

The alternatives aren't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I know I'm so late, but:

I agree.

False. Gamers don't feel like installing compatibility layers just to get their games working on Linux. They'd rather just use Windows (plus it often comes pre-installed in their computers).
        Luckily there is no setup involved with Proton..., yeah, I know quite a bit require workarounds and stuff under the launch options and other games require custom TKG Proton or Wine builds.

Do they really feel like setting up a VM just for 2 applications?
        Do they really feel like setting up another PC for just two applications?

Also, numbers twenty-five and under should be written out. Putting down just the number is grammatically incorrect. You'll have fun with that little tidbit of information.

Partially true. Sadly, I think native programs deliver more functionality than their web counterparts.
        I agree.

False. Hardcore video/graphics software not available under Linux:
        - Photoshop
        - Many video editors out there (there are some exceptions such as Nuke, DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks but they're pro-grade software)

The alternatives aren't enough.
        Yeah, but some of those actually work under Linux or have community clones that work or are in an alpha/beta state which puts this partially in the VM/Other PC discussion.

Comment

Working...
        X