Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Makes Their C++ Standard Library Open-Source (STL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Office 365 also runs locally? Or did this change?
    That a kind of.
    http://www.soloincolo.com/office-365...-busting-myths
    One of the things noted here is every 30 days office 365 has to connect to internet or it shuts it functionality down. Lets say you have a Murphy law connection to internet fails on the day office 365 need to check in. Great fun right for a business you can have basically all your MS Office down if you are using 365 subscription just because your internet connection broke some how. Libreoffice installed as backup seams like a really good plan.

Lot of ways you might as well treat MS Office 365 as if it a cloud application as it no more dependable. This is what makes companies consider just using MS office online. Yes MS Office online Microsoft gets to host and mine all the companies data so a real win win for Microsoft not to make MS Office local installs highly dependable.

This is one of the problems with the subscription model is that it can be used to leverage people into thinking runs in cloud model is ok because reliability can appear better.

Comment

Office 365 also runs locally? Or did this change?
      Sorry what?

A Office 365 license entitles you to install Office 365 locally (exact features depend on what you paid for),

See here the installation guide: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...2-23adc4716658

AND access to some cloud stuff you can usually do without (larger space in OneDrive or something, it's more relevant for businness users),

AND unlocks paid features in Office 365 Android apps (that are otherwise free), which can kinda work offline too with more limited functionality last I checked years ago as I don't care much about editing spreadsheets on a friggin phone anyway. https://products.office.com/en-us/of...mentv2-3m19n8m

Also, do note that my point was that the licensing model (subscription or one-off) has no relation to the application being web or even cloud-based.

So yes there are web and/or cloud-based applications with a subscription licensing, but there are also local applications with a subscription based license
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 17 September 2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        A Office 365 license entitles you to install Office 365 locally (exact features depend on what you paid for),

I am not exactly sure I I would call this installing locally.

MS Office 2013 installed offline help. So you don't have internet connection you have forgot how to do something you can look up some documentation how to make it work. MS Office 2019 and 365 don't have this. So no internet connection no application help.

So the help part of MS Office 2019 and 365 is a cloud application these days and that is your only option for that feature.

Yes MS Office 2019 installs less default templates than MS Office 2013 because you are meant to get those from the cloud when you need them as well.

365 checks for activation every 30 days.

Microsoft office is fairly much doing the offline version death by 1000 cuts each release the offline version out the box is able to-do less without a internet connection.

This is why I said kind of a local application MS Office is now kind of halfway between a cloud application and a local application. More and more items are coming you don't have internet connection/cloud with MS office you don't have them.

Comment

Sorry what?

See here the installation guide: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...2-23adc4716658

AND access to some cloud stuff you can usually do without (larger space in OneDrive or something, it's more relevant for businness users),

AND unlocks paid features in Office 365 Android apps (that are otherwise free), which can kinda work offline too with more limited functionality last I checked years ago as I don't care much about editing spreadsheets on a friggin phone anyway. https://products.office.com/en-us/of...mentv2-3m19n8m
          I see.

Also, do note that my point was that the licensing model (subscription or one-off) has no relation to the application being web or even cloud-based.

So yes there are web and/or cloud-based applications with a subscription licensing, but there are also local applications with a subscription based license
          OK, sorry, I misunderstood.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 18 September 2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft followed with opensourcing their compiler soon.
            Eventually they'll open the source to the Windows kernel (and no, I don't mean WRK but the whole kernel).

Comment

Eventually they'll open the source to the Windows kernel (and no, I don't mean WRK but the whole kernel).
              maybe that will help convince nvidia and other hw vendors to open-source their drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

It has been a couple of decades since I have done programming in Visual Studio but at least back then their standard C++ library wasn't even remotely standard.
                Two decades ago all the 'standard' libraries were rather questionable. I remember being taught you couldn't rely on it if coding cross platform. Many c++ libraries still have bad habits of reimplementing parts of it from those days.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-3e9259aaed13

I am not exactly sure I I would call this installing locally.
                  That would matter if offline help was of any use to begin with.

On quite a few professional software it is as good as a full manual (and the only real manual you have). This is not the case for Office.

Yes MS Office 2019 installs less default templates than MS Office 2013 because you are meant to get those from the cloud when you need them as well.
                  Big loss.

365 checks for activation every 30 days.
                  That's DRM, the application itself is very local.

Microsoft office is fairly much doing the offline version death by 1000 cuts each release the offline version out the box is able to-do less without a internet connection.
                  They aren't doing this hard enough.

You are grossly overestimating what most people uses Office for.

Comment

Highly Unlikely. As most long-lived software it will have parts that were licensed from third parties and they can't opensource, stuff they can't defend reliably against patent infringing lawsuits, and maybe even stuff they plain stole.

If Windows will have a opensource kernel eventually, it will be Linux running a Wine-like kernel-level shim to run Windows stuff on top.

Originally posted by programmerjake
                    maybe that will help convince nvidia and other hw vendors to open-source their drivers.
                    Same problem as above.

Comment

On quite a few professional software it is as good as a full manual (and the only real manual you have). This is not the case for Office.
                      MS Office use to come with a decent paper manual then for a while had a decent offline manual. Then downgraded the offline manual so forcing using more of the online manual. Then removed the offline manual completely. Now the online manual is going bad as well.

You are grossly overestimating what most people uses Office for.
                      No I have done support in businesses for a long time. I have been supporting those people using MS Office. So I do understand what they are using it for.

Something to consider I have been doing support for MS office since MS office 95. There is a on going trend that has been going for over 2 decades now.
                      Last edited by oiaohm; 18 September 2019, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X