Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Makes Their C++ Standard Library Open-Source (STL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

lol. or actually anything that isn't new. sugesting that a gamer should install linux and play with wine and proton is one of the most stupid ideas i've heard today.

lol again. show me a decent replacement (that works on linux natively) for a graphic designing or publishing. gimp and latex2e?

especially when they have to use an excel for some actual work. LO works with them in a 'great' manner.

to this day linux has problems with USB memory sticks mounting and other things that other operating systems solved years ago. keep dreaming
    I never said that it was perfect, but we're (Linux overall) somewhere in a state similar to Windows 98 or Windows 2000 -- ie -- works good enough for most people to get the job done.

Yeah, platform A might do tasks XYZ the best, but platform B can do tasks XYZ good enough as well as performs the tasks RSTLNE very, very well that platform A doesn't even touch (and that'll always be the case regardless of OS or task).

Think along the lines of how Android does instant messaging better than Red Hat and Windows 10; or how Red Hat runs a massive compile cluster better than Android, iOS/OSX, and Windows 10; or how Windows 10 plays games better than Android or Red Hat.

For most desktop needs, major Linux desktop environments and distributions based on them can accomplish most things people want or need to do well enough and can entirely replace one's Apple or Microsoft desktop depending on what they may or may not need to compromise on (and a lot of that is due to programs transitioning into web services that only require a compatible web browser).

If Linux does ones needs better in more areas than not, then people may very well compromise and accept that a few games don't work or that that USB drive acts finicky just like we did back in the 98/2K days. Out of my 115 games on Steam, something like 10 of them don't work with Proton and half of those are due to DRM/Anticheat (and games using the same engine w/o DRM/Anticheat work just fine).

My compromise is currently "oh well, I have a backlog of 35 games that do work and Hitman 1 & 2 have an assload of content that's really keeping my occupied". I don't have to compromise on anything else because I, luckily, have working alternatives to any Windows software I might need (mainly because I buy hardware wisely) outside of the few games that don't play.

Comment

Can this be used for Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        The desktop is dead.
        The desktop isn't that dead. Look at how many people still use desktops (you can count gamers). Maybe you mean the majority of their income isn't Windows anymore.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        The selling software model is dead.
        Only partially true. The big application stores (App Store and Google Play) still use the selling software model, bar a few subscription-based applications like Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Can this be used for Wine?
          I doubt it. We already have implementations of the C++ standard library. It is the non standard things Wine needs to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I doubt it. We already have implementations of the C++ standard library. It is the non standard things Wine needs to implement.
            I guess it can be at least used for fixing bugs in the reverse-engineered Wine C++ library...?

Comment

The desktop isn't that dead. Look at how many people still use desktops (you can count gamers). Maybe you mean the majority of their income isn't Windows anymore.
              Well, kind of dead. Software isn't sold so much on PC anymore. As a platform its dead too, most people use the PC just to interact with a web browser.

Only partially true. The big application stores (App Store and Google Play) still use the selling software model, bar a few subscription-based applications like Netflix.
              Yeah, but that is on phones. On the PC software sales are kinda dead outside of Steam.

Comment

I guess it can be at least used for fixing bugs in the reverse-engineered Wine C++ library...?
                Why would it need to be reverse engineered? This is the standard C++ library we are talking about, not a private Windows API.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Why would it need to be reverse engineered? This is the standard C++ library we are talking about, not a private Windows API.
                  Because maybe Windows does something differently?

(otherwise sorry for misunderstanding)

Comment

Because maybe Windows does something differently?

(otherwise sorry for misunderstanding)
                    Well, it could have bugs that could be figured out this way and better emulated in case some software depends on it, but most of the quirks of MSVC have been slowly rooted out the last few years, and MSVC is now behaving more standard compliant than Apple's fork of clang, and their library implementation better than libc++.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                      lol again. show me a decent replacement (that works on linux natively) for a graphic designing or publishing. gimp and latex2e?
                      I will take Gimp + Darktable over Photoshop + Lightroom any day of the week. Now that Davinci Resolve is working well on Linux that fixes my video issues and I will take DR over over the Adoble tools any day of the week and lots of people are moving in that direction. I don't get into the layout part so I can't speak to that, but as a professional photographer/videographer Linux is rocking my world.

Comment

Working...
                      X