Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Makes Their C++ Standard Library Open-Source (STL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why not Krita + Darktable? GIMP feels outdated at times.
    I just don't see any thing in Krita that says I need to switch. I understand Gimp after years of use. There was a long gap that Gimp went with out upgrades but it seems to be receiving love again and I like the changes they are making.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Nemerian View Post

Hmmm, wait a second, maybe that's why they were hiring open-source devs for Windows Core OS.
    The kernel is already becoming pretty "in-house", modular, and scalable, due to the OneCore project.

Maybe the wanna make the kernel small and barebones, dump everything problematic into the Win32 subsystem, that is only for desktop, and provide WCOS as a sort of open-source NT version of the AOSP.
    What's the point of having a open kernel if most of the leg work is done by a blob?
    Also I'm pretty sure Win32 isn't only for desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Nemerian
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Highly Unlikely. As most long-lived software it will have parts that were licensed from third parties and they can't opensource, stuff they can't defend reliably against patent infringing lawsuits, and maybe even stuff they plain stole.
    Hmmm, wait a second, maybe that's why they were hiring open-source devs for Windows Core OS.
    The kernel is already becoming pretty "in-house", modular, and scalable, due to the OneCore project.

Maybe the wanna make the kernel small and barebones, dump everything problematic into the Win32 subsystem, that is only for desktop, and provide WCOS as a sort of open-source NT version of the AOSP.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    Their solution to problem that everyone has - to have standard C++ library.
    everyone already has one coming with his c++ compiler. it's their solution to having just one library developer, they need community help

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    so much naming confusion. stl is "standard template library", it is a part of "c++ standard library" consisting of containers/iterators/algorithms. they certainly opensourced more than stl, probably whole c++ standard library

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Dude, you'z on teh internets and we haz videeoz of peoples playing teh game teh fastest evers for 29 yeerz to beat it 3 milliseconds fasta.
    Ok ok ok you are right I wrote it wrong. There is some seriously hardcore autistic people out there that can do anything but I didn't thought oiaohm was one of them.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

I never investigated this, and I somehow doubt your statement at face value. Who took the time to look at the authors of dozens of manuals
    Dude, you'z on teh internets and we haz videeoz of peoples playing teh game teh fastest evers for 29 yeerz to beat it 3 milliseconds fasta.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    The fact they are still removing things. Sooner or latter they will hit something important
    I sure hope so. It's time they shoot themselves in the foot hard like they did back in Ballmer days.

Its really interesting if you look at those third party manuals how many are in fact written by either current or X Microsoft staff., So I am not sure competition would be fierce. More likely to be false competition.
    I never investigated this, and I somehow doubt your statement at face value. Who took the time to look at the authors of dozens of manuals

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    As I said the only thing that would have been useful would have been the integrated help, and that is so long since gone (XP is basicallly stone age by now). Anything else they removed since then is barely making a dent, imho.
    The fact they are still removing things. Sooner or latter they will hit something important

The latest build rolling out to Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring aims to completely revamp how you discover, manage, and customize the fonts on your PC.

Like maybe having to pay for fonts in future.

They might sure try, but there are already very good third party manuals so the competition would be very fierce.
    Its really interesting if you look at those third party manuals how many are in fact written by either current or X Microsoft staff., So I am not sure competition would be fierce. More likely to be false competition.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    I would not say different. I would say I have noticed how Microsoft has been slowly cooking everyone.
    I said different because people I support don't need most of the advanced features or even irrelevant garbage like templates that are disappearing in the MS effort to "cook everyone", so I'm not sure it's really going to do anything apart from piss off power users.

As I said the only thing that would have been useful would have been the integrated help, and that is so long since gone (XP is basicallly stone age by now). Anything else they removed since then is barely making a dent, imho.

I do wonder if Microsoft is planning on cutting the online help down now so they can sell how to use books again.
    They might sure try, but there are already very good third party manuals so the competition would be very fierce.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X