KDE's Kate Text Editor Plans Improvements To Better Compete With Atom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I hope Kate doesn't add this anti-feature, people with problems need to solve them not avoid them.
    "I work with the standard exchange format for data in my field" isn't a problem.
    "My text editor can't handle huge files even though other editors on the same hardware manage fine" could arguably be a problem, and solving it means fixing kate to scale better on huge files. I don't see how that would be an "anti-feature".

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post

"I work with the standard exchange format for data in my field" isn't a problem.
      "My text editor can't handle huge files even though other editors on the same hardware manage fine" could arguably be a problem, and solving it means fixing kate to scale better on huge files. I don't see how that would be an "anti-feature".
      It's stupid to work with GB text files, if you don't see this problem then you deserve it.

Comment

I'd love to hear your alternatives. Keep in mind the huge existing ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
          Not so sure Atom or any other Electron-based editor should be the benchmark they use... Sublime Text is still one of the best non-IDE editors out there.
          It's proprietary...

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post

Oh get over yourself. Multi-GB text files are a common enough feature of scientific work - I work at a cancer genetics lab, and stupid-huge csv files are entirely routine. Of course, opening them in a GUI editor is less common (I'd typically use R), but it's not exactly exotic either.
            Generally if this is happening and you need to routinely editing these files then you might have problems with your overall workflow. At these sizes there a some pretty big downsides to using a text based encoding over binary encoding and not that many upsides. It can be sometimes useful to run regexp tools or for diagnosing problems when you are developing software but in your case I don't see anything that you can do with CSV files that can't be done better in a spreadsheet.

I used to end up large text files doing photogrammetry so sometimes they do happen.

Comment

Large files are common enough that at some point you're going to want to peek into them. Saying that you don't need the option to open large files is like Jobs' "You're holding it wrong." Extrapolating someone's smarts from their preferred workflow is a flawed proposition.

Now, that doesn't mean that any particular editor project needs to enable and test this feature. It just means that me and some other people will pursue alternatives which work fine with large files as well. But that's the beauty of the foss systems - you're free to choose.

Comment

Working...
              X