KDE's Kate Text Editor Plans Improvements To Better Compete With Atom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khnazile View Post

Get out of you bubble, this is real-world task. Multi-gigabyte text files, mailboxes with 80k of unread messages, directories with 0.5 million of photos is something that happens to real people in their everyday life. And you should expect that standard tools at least won't crash your computer if you try doing something like that. Unfortunately, most of Linux generic desktop software still fails if given large-scale tasks.
    No, it happens to weird people and admins who can't get their shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Kate isn't as lightweight as it used to be, though. Kate 5.16.x uses 26-27 MB with no files open on my system, while good ol' Kate 2.5.14 (now part of TDE) uses just 15 MB with no files open on my system.

And yes, I know 26-27 MB is not much at all, esp. with my 8 GB of RAM, but they still managed to somehow make it use 10 MB more under KDE 5 compared to the old version on TDE.. For a web browser, I wouldn't even have bothered to comment but for a text editor, I consider that quite a lot.
      Kate 19.08.1 using a tad over 19MB here

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

No, it happens to weird people and admins who can't get their shit together.
        Oh get over yourself. Multi-GB text files are a common enough feature of scientific work - I work at a cancer genetics lab, and stupid-huge csv files are entirely routine. Of course, opening them in a GUI editor is less common (I'd typically use R), but it's not exactly exotic either.
        Last edited by dnebdal; 10 September 2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Eh... KATE is only lightweight if you're already using KDE. But also, KATE isn't that simple (for a text editor). In fact, it seems to have more built-in features than almost anything else I've used. It's already a pretty good platform, so, I don't really see the problem in giving it a few additions here and there to make it more "universal". So, it's not going to be half-baked, because it's already been past that point before they even mentioned this goal.
          Funny story. Started Linux as a Gnome user. Eventually moved on to XFCE, before Gnome 3 was a concept so that wasn't a factor..I liked XFCE's right click menu on the desktop (seriously...that was enough to convert me from Gnome to Xfce like 12 years ago). When I moved on to XFCE, I did not like their text editors and kept on using Gedit.

Eventually Gedit based on GTK3 came out and I was all WTF is this crap. I tried to use it. I just couldn't. Went and started installing a bunch of different text editors, stuff I'd normally never use due to "why TF do I need all these dependencies" and ended up liking Kate out of all of them. A couple of weeks later I was looking at the different sessions available in the login menu and thought I'd give that Plasma thingy a shot. I was really leery because my first KDE experience was KDE4 and I just did not like it at all. Plasma, OTOH, just clicked with me and I've been a Plasma user ever since. Thanks, Kate.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Kate 19.08.1 using a tad over 19MB here
            19.08.0 with 85MB here

Around 1800 lines of bash & zsh script over 5 files

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

it is, but you get a KDEsu-Dialogue when you want to save a system file, so the only instance where this is an issue can be 600/700 rights.
              Plus it can be set as the "sudoedit" text editor.

Be aware that either Kate or sudoedit acts up if Kate is already open and the sudoedit file opens in a new tab. Any changes made to the file won't be saved. Close Kate, let sudoedit open Kate with only the sudoedit file active and everything works as expected.

Comment

Always been a huge fan of the Kate editor. Have done all my class assignments be it C, C++, or shell scripting in Kate. Love that you get the handy shell in the bottom for running gcc or bash to compile/run the program. In my opinion Kate doesn't need to do anything to compete with an electron editor, it is already the superior product that I use several days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I was really leery because my first KDE experience was KDE4 and I just did not like it at all. Plasma, OTOH, just clicked with me and I've been a Plasma user ever since. Thanks, Kate.
                  Technically, your first KDE4 experience was also Plasma. They just stopped calling the session KDE with KDE 5 as part of their efforts to rearchitect and re-market the components as less of a monolithic "all or none" whole.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post

Oh get over yourself. Multi-GB text files are a common enough feature of scientific work - I work at a cancer genetics lab, and stupid-huge csv files are entirely routine. Of course, opening them in a GUI editor is less common (I'd typically use R), but it's not exactly exotic either.
                    I hope Kate doesn't add this anti-feature, people with problems need to solve them not avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Technically, your first KDE4 experience was also Plasma. They just stopped calling the session KDE with KDE 5 as part of their efforts to rearchitect and re-market the components as less of a monolithic "all or none" whole.
                      It might have been, I really don't remember much more than Dolphin, the default taskbar and menu, and the control panel from then.

In retrospect, the reasons I didn't care for it back then was simply being a new Linux user and it was a lot of new information to take in (both Linux and KDE) so I found it to be a bit difficult to use combined with a lot of stuff starting with the letter K which made (and still makes) names hard to read due to dyslexia issues. The K stuff isn't as bad these days, and I don't know if this is Plasma being laid out cleanly or me having more general Linux knowledge, it just seems a lot more easier to use these days than what I vaguely remember.

Comment

Working...
                      X