Visual Studio Code Has Surprisingly Huge Linux Use & Other Developer Metrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
    Who said I'm not a geek? It's always good to be rational. At one time you will be working in corp where you have Linux or Windows only. Other time you will end up in mixed environment. It's always good to know best tools for certain tasks, regerdless of it's origin. After all what employer you will you pick? The one who pays you less or more?
    Nobody. "like us" could be substituted with "Phoronix posters". Red Hat, Suse, and the likes' biggest strength is that a non-technical user can call up and get the help they need without needing to be apt in Google Fu and Bash/Sh. I know that If I didn't know basic Bash and Sh I'd be lost with a lot of the help posts out there.

Comment

You need to make a poll to prove that VS Code makes people use TypeScript. Just because it supports it doesn't mean a thing. I have no use for it, yet sometimes I use it myself. Maybe you're right about TypeScript's popularity but I would need legit data proving that then simply assume it.
      The point is that if you intend to use VS Code to write standards-compliant ECMA-262 code, it will try to nudge you into the direction of adopting TypeScript. It heavily relies on it for things like completion, and it quite boldly shows that it's using TS typings as sources of completions. It also tries to infer types whenever possible. I'd say it doesn't even support JavaScript, and just treats it like extremely loose subset of TypeScript.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Avoiding future products based on past experiences with a company? Yes! This is a fairly normal thing to do.

Possibly also a reason why people don't vote so much for i.e the German Nationalist Party anymore
        I generally agree with this sentiment, but I don't go full-on cut-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face with it. I somehow doubt a text editor can be an effective means of embrace, extend, extinguish, so if I like it, I'll use it.

There are other Microsoft projects I'm wary of, however.

Comment

You did it for me. Shadowrun trilogy: Returns + Dragonfall + Hong Kong, Wasteland 2, Ori and the Blind Forest or Battletech. All made with Unity. You are right. It's a consumer crap with which people can't make games and money. You're just a fanboy and not a reasonable person, that's all.
          Adobe Flash has made its way into many more games (including AAA) via Scaleform compared to Unity. So yes, people can make games out of any old turd. They are wooden toy makers, not expert furniture craftsmen.

So I ask again. Were you trying to make a point?

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

I generally agree with this sentiment, but I don't go full-on cut-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face with it. I somehow doubt a text editor can be an effective means of embrace, extend, extinguish.
            You saw an example just earlier in this thread. People will start projects using the Windows only IDE because they think that VSCode is the same thing and that works on Linux.

Then, because they started the project with Visual Studio and its terrible, freaky C/C++ compiler they have now become locked into it (and Windows).

There is a reason they reused the name Visual Studio in VSCode... and it isn't them being honest, that's for sure
            This isn't the first time Microsoft has tried to confuse developers using shitty naming tactics and muddying terminology. For example some people think that C# is part of the fundamental C, C++, Objective-C family rather than some shite Java clone. Some people actually say they are C developers when all they know is C#/Unity and they are basically complete amateurs.
            Also, VB. Microsoft killed Visual Basic but tricked people by simply renaming a crap subset of C# to VB.NET. It worked... people actually think they can rely on Microsoft technologies for future maintenance.

But I don't dislike Microsoft (they donated a shedload to the BSD projects after all). It is the developers that fall for their tricks that generally make my life harder. It only takes one Microsoft kid at a company and you have to baby sit them. Gone is the ability for the rest of the development team to be proactive because you have to pull around dead weight and panda to the fact they can't do anything outside of a fat crippling IDE :S

Edit:
            Just to be clear; I am not talking about the sort of developer that hangs out on an alternative operating system news site (phoronix) falling for it. You guys are all pretty knowledgeable. I am talking about absolute newbies who don't know any different. Microsoft is a predator for these kinds of kids XD.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 06 September 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

So yes, people can make games out of any old turd. They are wooden toy makers, not expert furniture craftsmen.
              Maybe you should read Shadowrun developers blog post or listen to some of the interviews with the team. Why they have chosen to use Unity? Because of the ease of use and short learning period. Did they make the games they wanted? Yes. Did they sell the games? Yes. Did they earn any money for their work? Yes. Did fans have fun? Yes. Goals achieved. Simple business strategy. Same for Gogot. It had a lot less features than Unity when Deponia games were made. But I guess you want me to believe that it would be much better for the devs, if they would pick up Unreal 4 which is more complicated, and requires you to "play with simple and programmers friendly" C++ syntax? If you want to know my opinion about C++ I will have to quote Ken Thompson here: "It does a lot of things half well and it's just a garbage heap of ideas that are mutually exclusive." So sure. All people should use tolls that are far more complex than their actual needs. That's quite reasonable. Spend more time on learning the tools (money loss), spend more time on debugging far more complex code (money loss). End result = earn less. I wonder what your attitude would be if Unity devs would switch to Java? Maybe suddenly it would stop to be an old turd and start to be a serious software used by expert furniture craftsmen? Be serious. Languages, editors or IDEs are just tools, and you pick the one that makes the job done. You just have some personal issue with it. That's all.

Comment

Edit:
                Just to be clear; I am not talking about the sort of developer that hangs out on an alternative operating system news site (phoronix) falling for it. You guys are all pretty knowledgeable. I am talking about absolute newbies who don't know any different. Microsoft is a predator for these kinds of kids XD.
                Did you miss that part of the article: "- By far the most used development tool was Visual Studio Code at 37.6%!" ???
                37.6% of these people are kids as you called "them". They just hang on Phoronix for fun. I guess that numbers lie after all.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

The point is that if you intend to use VS Code to write standards-compliant ECMA-262 code, it will try to nudge you into the direction of adopting TypeScript. It heavily relies on it for things like completion, and it quite boldly shows that it's using TS typings as sources of completions. It also tries to infer types whenever possible. I'd say it doesn't even support JavaScript, and just treats it like extremely loose subset of TypeScript.
                  I didn't know that. I have different use case scenarios for it than JavaScript. So thanks for info.

Comment

I can't believe you fell for that Microsoft trick
                    i have no problems distinguishing vs and vscode
                    Using a correct compiler is relevant for *all* developers.
                    sure, but you can't use incorrect one if it is not available on your platform
                    The stack overflow survey was the one I was referencing. You should check it out.
                    vs doesn't work on linux, so it can't be used by linux developers
                    Last edited by pal666; 07 September 2019, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madgemade View Post
                      Which distro?
                      if your ide doesn't come with your distro you should switch either ide or distro
                      my distro is fedora
                      IDEs considers one project to be one program
                      good ide can do better. but even among bad ides it should be fashionable to support cmake projects, cmake can have many programs in the project
                      , I don't see how having loads of different files that have no relation to each other together is a good idea. In VSCods you can just open a file, make a few changes and close it, no need to have any kind of "project" file/folder bloat.
                      you don't have to open all project files, open only ones you need as with any text editor

Comment

Working...
                      X