No announcement yet.

Visual Studio Code Has Surprisingly Huge Linux Use & Other Developer Metrics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I am the only person who actually switched from JetBrains stuff to VSCode because of performance issues I am doing mostly NodeJS development (including legacy project which has 5000+ lines files) and it works for me much better than WebStorm. I even spent a week doing stuff on a Core 2 Duo notebook with 3GB ram and it worked quite acceptable there. And those plugins I use are actually working - I don't see issues with EditorConfig, ESLint, GitLens or even Import Cost. Not mentioning that JetBrains is actually a paid product, and VSCode is free and has everything I need. Descent code highlighting, autocompletion, debugger - what else is needed for development? I don't care about that religious stuff like "this app was made by bad company", I just use what I consider best for my workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Looks like I am the only person who actually switched from JetBrains stuff to VSCode because of performance issues I am doing mostly NodeJS development (including legacy project which has 5000+ lines files) and it works for me much better than WebStorm. I even spent a week doing stuff on a Core 2 Duo notebook with 3GB ram and it worked quite acceptable there. And those plugins I use are actually working - I don't see issues with EditorConfig, ESLint, GitLens or even Import Cost. Not mentioning that JetBrains is actually a paid product, and VSCode is free and has everything I need. Descent code highlighting, autocompletion, debugger - what else is needed for development? I don't care about that religious stuff like "this app was made by bad company", I just use what I consider best for my workflow.
      Bad, bad company
      Till the day I die...

is now stuck in my head after reading that

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
        I'm actually surprised that people keep on using VS Code. It is a heavy, slow, text editor with terrible support for language features
        Mostly agree, VS Code for C++ is a text editor with an integrated grep: but I really like this combination of features(*): it's much faster than CLion which freeze far too often (I work on a big C++ project), it's much slower than Vim, but Vim defaults sucks for an IDE and doesn't work well with multiple tabs.

*: except when the VSCode "show definition"'s result show a file which isn't even in the same git repository as the source file!!

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

Do you really find it to be a valid argument?
          I do, considering the history of Microsoft, I can't trust them with any software. They are hostile, and I think being careful around them based on that is a pretty sane thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

Do you really find it to be a valid argument?
            Avoiding future products based on past experiences with a company? Yes! This is a fairly normal thing to do.

Possibly also a reason why people don't vote so much for i.e the German Nationalist Party anymore
            Last edited by kpedersen; 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I see things differently. There is a significant lack of IDE’s that work well on Linux and that are well supported by documentation and user references. Some solutions that have had backing in the open source world , in fact backing by big distros, such Eclipse have become complete failures in my mind.

Eclipse is by far the best example of trash in the FOSS world. There are other bad apps but how many IDE’s end up breaking themselves after installation? Even if the Eclipse update mechanism is avoided and you rely upon distro RPM’s it still stops working when it feels like it.

Now I’ve beat up on Eclipse but the vast majority of IDE’s running on Linux have significant issues. I actually believe this is why so many are still using the command line and a good text editor. In theory an IDE should be a more productive environment but that doesn’t seem to be the case on Linux.

Originally posted by grigi View Post

I remember reading a huge rant from a Jetbrains blog about how they evaluated language server and didn't see the point.

One could argue that VSCode has very different levels of support for different languages. JS is decent, Python is terrible. etc...
              It is still far too popular for its given lack of basic functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                Looks like I am the only person who actually switched from JetBrains stuff to VSCode because of performance issues
                If you don’t mind me asking, what did you find to be underperforming with WebStorm? Personally I’m a big fan of the JetBrains product lines, though admittedly I’m usually running on more powerful systems where it’s more difficult for the JVM to be a bottleneck.

For me, the only things I typically notice are a file/tab/docked-window opening non-instantaneously or general navigation of the product not as snappy as a dedicated text editor. But the core functionality of the IDE itself tends to be up there for performance.

Cheers,
                Mike

Comment

Lots of people complaining and "trolling" but VSCode is a great tool with huge community and made lot more progress than any Linux or Open Source editor that I can remember
                  IMO by far the best tool for coding in Linux (professional or not). And to catch any comments, I have worked on almost any IDE out there free or not

Comment

Hey just found that it even has Vala support !!!! Dont know of any decent tool other than Builder that supports Vala these days !!!!! and this is a pure gnome Ide

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

I've stayed away from Atom and VS Code for some reason. Probably mostly inertia if I'm honest. It's not like emacs or vim (spacemacs/spacevim notwithstanding) are shining beacons of usability in the traditional sense.
                      The issue with usability applies to a lot of open source editors / IDE’s. EMACS is a good example of a code editor that works well in default mode but becomes a complete pain in the ass if customization is to be done. It is a real turn off for the casual user.

Now maybe VS Code isn’t any better (I really don’t know) but I suspect it has large adoption by those casual users in the hopes that they don’t have to invest the time like they would have to to keep EMACS up to snuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X