Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook's HHVM Begins Seeing Rust Rewrite

Phoronix: Facebook's HHVM Begins Seeing Rust Rewrite

Facebook's HHVM implementation that started off as a high performance PHP5 implementation but is now just focused on powering their own Hack programming language is beginning to see some of its code rewritten in Rust...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...book-Rust-HHVM

Are there any performance benchmarks? What are their plans and goals for their Rust rewrite?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What are their plans and goals for their Rust rewrite?
      Probably, make the parser clearer and safer. I don't think it's going to see relevant performance improvement by doing this, by itself, but maybe it's going to make room for future optimizations.

Comment

Maybe P++ could have been another interesting way to be investigated by HHVM folks...

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
          Maybe P++ could have been another interesting way to be investigated by HHVM folks...
          What's that? Please elaborate...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What's that? Please elaborate...
            Well...for instance https://www.infoworld.com/article/34...r-dialect.html

Comment

Which p++ do you mean? That name, according to Google, is already taken by two other programming languages.

Comment

and with this release they have been transitioning some of their code from OCaml to Rust.
                How fitting, given that the Rust compiler made the same transition a decade ago.

Comment

It's somewhat surprising to see a transition from OCaml to Rust. OCaml is (generally) safe, and has a long history of high performance, so neither performance nor safety is the obvious motivator. My guess is either they're doing it to get rid of the language runtime/garbage collector, or to make the code-base more familiar to other developers. In either case Rust is a natural target since its type system is so heavily based on the MLs. My money (~$0.02) is on making the code-base more accessible.

Comment

This sounds pretty good. Rust looks like a good language in general from what I've messed around with, and I hope it takes off.

Consider this to be a big win for Mozilla, as their language is getting more attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X