No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & Debian Moving Along With Plans For Removing Python 2 Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile in the real world, the stuff that matters the most in the python ecosystem has already been ported to python3:

py3readiness.org

But sure, any remaining distro-specific glue code stuck on python2 will need to be updated.
    Last edited by ermo; 26 August 2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Thanks for the post Andy. I can’t imagine any other programming niche with so many luddites. Can you imagine any other user of a rapidly evolving language (Rust, Swift and even C++ come to mind), having the same attitude and having the community accept it.
      I've never had such experiences with any other programming languages. Imagine using standard libraries and having compiling issues every few months ON THE SAME CODE just because something has changed in at least one of them, and now one of your object is no longer an acceptable type, or some other nonsense. Most programmers being either too lazy to declare their variables, or damned when they do since the libraries stab in the back the programmers that actually follow best practices.

Thinking back, I wish I had compiled the number of errors I've had to manage in the last 6 months because scripts barely two years old no longer work by default. It's a bit of a cash-cow to be honest, but I'd rather things get built once right and no longer have to be changed at all. Re-work isn't good for humanity.

Comment

Monty Python season 2 was one of the best!

I mean come on, season 2 episode 2 was The Spanish Inquisition, my favorite of all time!

And hey, don't get mad at me for my terrible jokes, it's all Michael's fault for letting me post here

Comment

So... they are going to drop OpenStack?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
            There was sarcastic smiley there AFAIR Sarcastic comments usually means that the opposite is true too
            Do not expect people to speak your language of gibberish and smilies/emojis.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Arch has been ahead of the game for years. Just typing "python" defaults to python 3, and it hardly causes any problems for them.
              hardly? *cough* *cough*

It creates problems for everybody else. Though it can hardly be free for them with all the bug reports they have to file everywhere stuff breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                but can you even think of another programming language which such crazy versioning hell that you need to have a virtual environment management distro?
                Ruby comes to mind.. Others less so on language but dependency management woes.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  So... they are going to drop OpenStack?
                  Afaik it is working on Python3 now

see here the status of what was migrated to Python 3 (more or less everything)

Comment

On my Arch systems ceph-libs plus libvirt still depend on python2. And kodi, getmail too.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                      On my Arch systems ... libvirt still depend on python2.
                      Are you sure? libvirt is not a python application.
                      On OpenSUSE TW the only python thing about it is python3-libvirt-python, which is python bindings/API for libvirt, and it is Python 3 as the name suggests.
                      And of course the older library for python2, python2-libvirt-python.
                      Maybe you still have a older package for that?

Looking at Arch dependencies for that https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c...86_64/libvirt/ yeah it was ported. Looking at the packages requiring it (on the right), it seems you still have libvirt-python2 installed (which needs python2 and isn't required by anything anymore and can be safely removed afaik) alongside of libvirt-python.

Also, on TW ceph does not seem to have any python2 dependency, I only see python3-something as deps, while it seems that on arch yes it's still python2 https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c..._64/ceph-libs/

I dont' see any python dependency at all for kodi but I suspect it is shipping its own stuff. Although I thought they switched to python3 years ago now.

lolwtf? Is this the end of Arch or something? Hail the green chameleon, btw.

Comment

Working...
                      X