No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & Debian Moving Along With Plans For Removing Python 2 Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, go for broke, force the world to Perl6 (dare ya!!)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
      Yeah, people shouldn't learn old things, only new ones
      Agreed. And the less people with this kind of skillset means that I can charge more to maintain a companies legacy (albeit mission critical) internal software

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      I'd love to see people embrace new things a little bit more, so maintenance of legacy software is not an issue.
      Yep, if they pay me enough; legacy software will *not* be their problem

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        Hey, go for broke, force the world to Perl6 (dare ya!!)
        Perl expert here. Perl 5 is not going anywhere, it is continuing, is actively maintained, due to there is a huge ecosystem that runs on it, and it would not be a good use of time to port fine Perl 5 code. Perl 5 is going to be around for a long time. Perl 6 a completely new language, its own ecosystem. With Perl 6 there is a completely new compiler (Rakudo) and so on, You can use Perl 5 libraries from Perl 6 however (Perl 5 VM is called into from Rakudo), so there is interoperability between the two languages. So Perl 5 and Perl 6 will exist in parallel as seperate ecosystems, they can interoperate however.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
          WTF

From https://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

A step forward, in the right direction, but to late .

Python 3 should have been the default python version already since Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04. And Not to wait until 2020.

The good news:Python 4 will be default in Ubuntu, around 2050
          It was decided a while back that python 4.0 would follow 3.9, and python 3.9->4.0 would be no different than 3.8->3.9. No more massive language revisions.

Comment

So how many GitHub projects will this break in the process if Python removes all v2 packages without some means of keeping them around for legacy?

Comment

Good. We've only been trying to get rid of python 2 for a decade. I picked up a book on Python that was published a couple of years ago. To my amazement, the book only covered python 2. The author in the preface said something like "If people tell you why learn python 2 and not python 3, ask then when they will no longer have any packages that require python 2, that should shut them up". I'm not making this up, that's how ridiculous python 2 devs are, clinging to a past long gone, too lazy to convert their (mostly) spaghetti code to python 3.

Python in general is such a mess that you need to manage a different virtual environment for every single project you work on, since something is likely to break all the time. I use Anaconda to manage this rather "easily", but can you even think of another programming language which such crazy versioning hell that you need to have a virtual environment management distro?

Comment

This is good news but honestly should have happened 5 years ago. As much as I love the Python community I have to admit that Python often draws in the wrong element. Frankly these people have come close to torpedoing the whole community.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post

Perl expert here. Perl 5 is not going anywhere.
                  I know, however, almost the exact same arguments can be made for preserving Python 2. In fact, if Apple were to continue to force it, what a difference that would make.

I was trying to be funny.

(Why is it called Perl?)

Comment

Thanks for the post Andy. I can’t imagine any other programming niche with so many luddites. Can you imagine any other user of a rapidly evolving language (Rust, Swift and even C++ come to mind), having the same attitude and having the community accept it.

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    Good. We've only been trying to get rid of python 2 for a decade. I picked up a book on Python that was published a couple of years ago. To my amazement, the book only covered python 2. The author in the preface said something like "If people tell you why learn python 2 and not python 3, ask then when they will no longer have any packages that require python 2, that should shut them up". I'm not making this up, that's how ridiculous python 2 devs are, clinging to a past long gone, too lazy to convert their (mostly) spaghetti code to python 3.

Python in general is such a mess that you need to manage a different virtual environment for every single project you work on, since something is likely to break all the time. I use Anaconda to manage this rather "easily", but can you even think of another programming language which such crazy versioning hell that you need to have a virtual environment management distro?

Comment

Interesting comment about Apple. Honestly I see them giving up on Python with the focus being put on Swift. The primary reason being that languages must evolve with the technology and the non sense around Python highlights how difficult that can be if the community has too many lazy programmers. {Lazy being the kindest term I can use here}.

I can remember when Ruby was a thing at Apple so a change of direction, with Python, is easy to imagine. It isn’t just Apple either; as alternative to Python crop, up you will see more and more people leaving simply saying it isn’t worth the grief. Programming languages have a life time after which they become a memory, Python currently enjoys a vibrant life but if these problems persist it will die off. I’ve been around long enough to see many “hot” languages that are barely mentioned these days, Python can go that way if the community can’t get past Python 2 and it’s unnatural resistance to breaking changes.

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

I know, however, almost the exact same arguments can be made for preserving Python 2. In fact, if Apple were to continue to force it, what a difference that would make.

I was trying to be funny.

(Why is it called Perl?)

Comment

Working...
                      X