Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler 2.0 Released With Zen 2 Support

Phoronix: AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler 2.0 Released With Zen 2 Support

Coinciding with yesterday's glorious AMD EPYC "Rome" 7002 series CPU launch, AMD's software folks released AOCC 2.0 as their LLVM/Clang-based compiler optimized for Zen processors. AOCC 2.0 brings optimized compiler support now for Zen 2 processors not just only the EPYC 7002 line-up but also the Ryzen 3000 series consumer processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nope, it's not, sadly. "File "aocc-compiler-2.0.0-1.x86_64.rpm" does not exist." AMD website says.

Comment

Was curious how much of AOCC was being upstreamed, so I grep'ed around the LLVM source tree. In the last 6 months nearly everything from @amd.com was related to GPUs, [AMDGPU] with just some very minor zen 2 enablement like this.

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project...thor=ganeshgit

Did I miss something or is AMD holding back? If AMD's goal here is to make their CPUs perform better, why on earth would they not be pushing these improvements upstream? How much software out there is actually built with AOCC vs Clang? I would wager that nearly nothing that you can DL or purchase is actually built with AOCC. Off the top of my head, my firefox and chrome are both built with clang. These are some of the most performance critical pieces of software on people's PCs.
      Last edited by slacka; 08 August 2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
        Nope, it's not, sadly. "File "aocc-compiler-2.0.0-1.x86_64.rpm" does not exist." AMD website says.
        It's fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
          Was curious how much of AOCC was being upstreamed, so I grep'ed around the LLVM source tree. In the last 6 months nearly everything from @amd.com was related to GPUs, [AMDGPU] with just some very minor zen 2 enablement like this.

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project...thor=ganeshgit

Did I miss something or is AMD holding back? If AMD's goal here is to make their CPUs perform better, why on earth would they not be pushing these improvements upstream? How much software out there is actually built with AOCC vs Clang? I would wager that nearly nothing that you can DL or purchase is actually built with AOCC. Off the top of my head, my firefox and chrome are both built with clang. These are some of the most performance critical pieces of software on people's PCs.
          The thing you missed was where you suggest binaries you DL or purchase might be compiled with Zen2-specific instructions, rather than an lcd instruction set e.g. westmere.

Desktop/webapp performance is important, but not critical. Reliability is critical.

Comment

Working...
          X