Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP 7.4 Alpha 2 Adds Support For Reading TGA Files, SQLite3 Online Backup API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.4 Alpha 2 Adds Support For Reading TGA Files, SQLite3 Online Backup API Support

Phoronix: PHP 7.4 Alpha 2 Adds Support For Reading TGA Files, SQLite3 Online Backup API Support

The second alpha release for this year's PHP 7.4 release is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

TGA, wanted nobody ever...
    Totally useless addition, they should remove it. We have PNG, JPEG and WebP for the web.
    I don't know why anyone would ever want TGA support. It is completely irrelevant and obsolete. 👎

That said, PHP 7.4 looks to be amazing ❤ it will have support for typed properties. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      TGA, wanted nobody ever...
      Totally useless addition, they should remove it. We have PNG, JPEG and WebP for the web.
      I don't know why anyone would ever want TGA support. It is completely irrelevant and obsolete. 👎

That said, PHP 7.4 looks to be amazing ❤ it will have support for typed properties. 👍
      If there's a way to get it out of the core language, it should be removed along with support for every image format. I assume that's not the case, and it's just a tiny set of functions added to the absurdly large standard library.

Comment

@uid313:
        The TGA file format could actually be useful as an intermediary storage format when image processing performance is important. The other formats you mention are all compressed formats which require decompression/compression when (temporarily) stored, whereas uncompressed TGAs are laid out exactly the same way images are (typically) stored in memory (and OpenGL textures), i.e. a memory dump. The header is only 18 bytes and is trivial to parse in any language. It takes about 50 lines of C/C++ code to read and write a file; there's no code bloat, if you're worried about that.

I've supported TGA in all of my image processing tools for decades, and it's quite a nice, timeless format and generally well documented, and supported by most authoring software.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

If there's a way to get it out of the core language, it should be removed along with support for every image format. I assume that's not the case, and it's just a tiny set of functions added to the absurdly large standard library.
          Image support is handled by the libgd module. So it is not part of the core language, it is an optional module. I think that the optional module is enabled by default though, and the module comes with the PHP package.

Comment

Working...
          X