One Of AMD's Leading LLVM Compiler Experts Jumped Ship To Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Performance beyond C++"

Unless they're talking about really shitty, over-engineered code that does "OOP for the sake of OOP" or about incredibly rare edge-cases, I see the idea that C# could outperform C++ as hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Is it me or do others think that C# is a dead end? I certainly don’t hear much about it in the forums I read. I don’t see a lot of demand either for programmers.
      If you look at prosumer / indie game development forums, they seem obsessed with it. There is so much marketing going on with Unity (and thus C#) that a lot of would-be developers cannot get the right facts and often fail to choose the correct tool for the job, they are basically force fed Unity. Thus C# as a language is heavily (albeit incorrectly) used in these areas.

But yes, C# and Java (effectively the same technology as Plan 9's Limbo) are a dead end in terms of performance but most of all portability. If you cannot get the massively complex VM ported to a platform; you are dead in the water with these languages. The garbage collectors alone makes too many assumptions to be classed as portable.

There is a lot of demand for Java and .NET. But simply not in high performance areas or game development. Think more along the lines for an accounts database frontend. And these technologies are fine for that.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 23 June 2019, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Is it me or do others think that C# is a dead end? I certainly don’t hear much about it in the forums I read. I don’t see a lot of demand either for programmers.
        Good thing Godot has other options. Unity seems stuck with C# for scripting.

Comment

It's mainly Microsoft that's pushing it, seeing as how they invented it. And of course those who like the language.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

git is not the be all end all of source control, this guy hates perforce, the next might love it. No company should change such a vital piece of infrastructure based on what a single guy thinks, now if this is the common feeling inside AMD then by all means they should change but not due to a single guy.
            I've worked at Amazon, they also used Perforce - it sucks. It's horrible. People need to move on to something else, I suggest git. Perforce is a severe hindrance to productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
              AFAIK, Perforce has benefits when it comes to storing binary files.
              Version control for source code is not the right place to store large binary files. I've dealt with that, it's annoying.

Comment

"Performance beyond C++"

Unless they're talking about really shitty, over-engineered code that does "OOP for the sake of OOP" or about incredibly rare edge-cases, I see the idea that C# could outperform C++ as hyperbole.
                This reminds me of another company with lots of money and rushed code. Instead of taking time to design and implement good designs some people go for quick development and investors. Afterwards they try to make the best of what they have. It "worked" for Facebook that went with PHP and then hacklang, not sure if Unity is trying to do the same thing not sure if it will "work" for 3D game engine to try this method.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

For what it's worth I don't think the problem is Perforce itself as much as the rules and restrictions that accumulated around it over the years. It probably wouldn't be hard to make git just as unpleasant to use... and I'm sure someone somewhere is working on just that
                  I just hope that you have healthy internal discussions over which rules work and which don't and have a process to revise them if needed. At least he wrote that he felt heavily restricted in his productivity due to all of this and that should ring some alarm bells. But of course I can imagine that consensus is hard to achieve, especially across many teams with different priorities.

Comment

AFAIK, Perforce has benefits when it comes to storing binary files.
                    One should not store binary files in SCM! Binary files are meant to be stored in artifact repository.

Comment

I've found that when your workplace doesn't accommodate you and impedes your workflow, you have to do things your own way (of course, as long as it doesn't negatively impact everyone else). All that matters is finding a way to bridge your method with the internally preferred/suggested way. If he's really working at 10% his potential, I think the amount of hours it takes to personalize his workflow to increase his potential would've been well worth it. If the company tells him to stop doing that, well, maybe it is best he leave.
                      Where I work, I'm the only desktop user running Linux. I also don't use almost any of the same tools anyone else does. But, when I need to interact with someone or get the "real user experience", I'll divert my workflow to accommodate them. Sometimes that means running something in Wine or a VM, if push comes to shove. It's a temporary inconvenience that allows my overall workflow to be sped up.
                      As long as you understand how the company wants things done, it's not hard to do things your own way without interfering or holding them back.
                      I may be mistaken, but I think Apple heavily pushes for C# for iOS. At least they used to.
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 23 June 2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X