X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkese
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Firefox runs slower than Chrome/Chromium.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-73-Benchmarks
    Rust and other bad choices slows down.
    What makes you think that Rust is the problem?

I'm not a Rust programmer, I used to program C++ but I can see many cases where it is easier to extract some extra performance out of Rust than C++. For example the OOP approach in C++ includes virtual methods which include a small performance penalty due to need of dereferencing each time such methods are called. Similarly Rust makes it easier to avoid some memory allocations. Then there are cases where one'd normally use ARC pointers in C++ (with extra cost of managing reference count at each use) in cases where one could rely on Rust's borrow checker to safely program many of these pointer usages without reference counting altogether.

To me it appears that Rust really enables better ratio of level of abstratcions divided by cost of abstractions than C++.
    But I might be wrong... as I said I don't know Rust as well as C++...

What's your experience with Rust?
    Last edited by pkese; 26 May 2019, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pkese
    replied

C/C++ beats rust in real world applications.
    https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.de...-are-fast.html
    What's that: the link that you provided exactly falsifies your claims - it not only shows that Rust is faster than C++, but also that Rust's results are more consistent than both C and C++.

Can you now provide a link that supports your claims?
    Last edited by pkese; 26 May 2019, 06:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Firefox runs slower than Chrome/Chromium.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You can join the project and propose your alternative and faster/safer/better solutions.

Leave a comment:

• programmerjake
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Obviously... why do you seem to think you're telling me something I don't know? The only reason I pointed out what I did was RealNC's response was rather incomplete/unclear.
    additional elaboration for the benefit of others. It's obvious that you already know about BigInt, didn't mean to offend.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by programmerjake View Post

BigInt supports arbitrary-precision integers, so it can correctly do arithmetic on a 7000-digit number if you wanted.

So, for example, if you wanted to calculate 3 ** 50 % 81, you could do that using BigInt: 3n ** 50n % 81n == 0n (since 3 ** 50 is a multiple of 3 ** 4 or 81).
    If you tried that using standard JavaScript numbers, it would give the wrong answer due to rounding: 3 ** 50 % 81 == 42
    Obviously... why do you seem to think you're telling me something I don't know? The only reason I pointed out what I did was RealNC's response was rather incomplete/unclear.
    Last edited by cb88; 26 May 2019, 04:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• programmerjake
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Larger than 2^52.. JS can already handle numbers up to 2^53.

BigInt values represent numeric values which are too large to be represented by the number primitive.

BigInt supports arbitrary-precision integers, so it can correctly do arithmetic on a 7000-digit number if you wanted.

So, for example, if you wanted to calculate 3 ** 50 % 81, you could do that using BigInt: 3n ** 50n % 81n == 0n (since 3 ** 50 is a multiple of 3 ** 4 or 81).
    If you tried that using standard JavaScript numbers, it would give the wrong answer due to rounding: 3 ** 50 % 81 == 42

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    I turned on webrender on Firefox Nightly 69.0a1 tonight. Playing videos caused the CPU usage to basically double. I couldn't see any discernible difference in playback, so I turned it back off.

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    Finally
    this should have been done 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Eh, no. More like 2^53.
    Larger than 2^53.. JS can already handle numbers up to 2^53.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Objects/BigInt
    Last edited by cb88; 26 May 2019, 04:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X