Firefox 68 Integrates BigInt Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Why doesn'n the Xfce team create a browser?
    I thought that I'd maybe get one day without an IBM conspiracy theory. Damn you Vistaus

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Mozilla do not care about users,
      ^ Truth. Mozilla: the choice of the hipster generation. I'll never use that trash again. Andreessen must be cringing at how far his creation has fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        ^ Truth. Mozilla: the choice of the hipster generation. I'll never use that trash again. Andreessen must be cringing at how far his creation has fallen.
        I'm sure you arrived at this conclusion after frustrating first-hand experiences. It's easy to get bitten by some change in software as complex as a browser, and to conclude that if upstream did that, it doesn't care about its users. But firstly, all changes are compromises, and what bothers you may improve the general userbase's experience.

But what really strikes me about your comment is the idea that Mozilla makes less user-focused decisions than Google, Microsoft, or Apple (to cite the biggest browser vendors), which is pretty much indefensible. Mozilla has a decades-long record of fighting for the user's and the Internet's freedom, privacy. The other three are pretty much the opposite. If you want to influence a browser with bug reports and code contributions, Firefox is the only reasonable option.

You may not like today's Firefox, but it's the only mainstream browser that ultimately cares about the web and its users rather than a corporate agenda. And we sorely need it to counter the Blink monoculture.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Only a small part of Firefox is written in Rust. They wouldn't exchanged parts of it, if it wouldn't gain on performance. You should do your recherche, before you post...
          Argued about that here so many times before, it falls on death ears, some people just took a dislike to rust and can't process some basic observations:
          • Rust is just as fast as C/C++ at the language level. The differences are minimal, there are benchmark wins on both sides, usually not much bigger than background noise.
          • Rust makes complicated code much easyer. Firefox tried and failed multiple times to parallelize their render and css using C++, but succeeded with Rust. Often, naive/idiomatic rust code will be much closer to theoretical max performance than naive/idiomatic C++ code.
          • Firefox is still overall slower than Chrome mainly due to javascript performance, which is still written in C++. Page layout and css parsing, which Firefox has rewritten in Rust, are faster in Firefox.

Comment

Why doesn't the Xfce team create a browser?
            Actually they did, Midori is under the Xfce4 umbrella...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Actually they did, Midori is under the Xfce4 umbrella...

https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/midori
              Yeah, and Eolie is a web browser by the GNOME Team just because it's hosted on their GitLab...

Comment

Yeah, and Eolie is a web browser by the GNOME Team just because it's hosted on their GitLab...
                Actually it seems exactly as you stated...

Comment

Actually it seems exactly as you stated...
                  Except that the Eolie dev is not part of the GNOME Team, just like the Midori devs aren't part oi the Xfce Team. They just use the infrastructure provided by resp. GNOME and Xfce.

Comment

Except that the Eolie dev is not part of the GNOME Team, just like the Midori devs aren't part oi the Xfce Team. They just use the infrastructure provided by resp. GNOME and Xfce.
                    I don't see any issue, Midori still continues to belong to the XFCE project even if not realized directly by the Xfce4 devs...

Comment

I don't see any issue, Midori still continues to belong to the XFCE project even if not realized directly by the Xfce4 devs...
                      Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it still differs from my initial point/question.

Comment

Working...
                      X