Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 68 Integrates BigInt Support

Phoronix: Firefox 68 Integrates BigInt Support

In addition to Firefox 68's WebRender slated to deliver much better performance, another headlining feature of this next Mozilla Firefox web-browser update is BigInt support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    can handle values up to 253
    Eh, no. More like 2^53.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Eh, no. More like 2^53.
      Larger than 2^53.. JS can already handle numbers up to 2^53.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Objects/BigInt
      Last edited by cb88; 26 May 2019, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Finally
        this should have been done 10 years ago.

Comment

I turned on webrender on Firefox Nightly 69.0a1 tonight. Playing videos caused the CPU usage to basically double. I couldn't see any discernible difference in playback, so I turned it back off.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Larger than 2^52.. JS can already handle numbers up to 2^53.

BigInt values represent numeric values which are too large to be represented by the number primitive.

BigInt supports arbitrary-precision integers, so it can correctly do arithmetic on a 7000-digit number if you wanted.

So, for example, if you wanted to calculate 3 ** 50 % 81, you could do that using BigInt: 3n ** 50n % 81n == 0n (since 3 ** 50 is a multiple of 3 ** 4 or 81).
            If you tried that using standard JavaScript numbers, it would give the wrong answer due to rounding: 3 ** 50 % 81 == 42

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post

BigInt supports arbitrary-precision integers, so it can correctly do arithmetic on a 7000-digit number if you wanted.

So, for example, if you wanted to calculate 3 ** 50 % 81, you could do that using BigInt: 3n ** 50n % 81n == 0n (since 3 ** 50 is a multiple of 3 ** 4 or 81).
              If you tried that using standard JavaScript numbers, it would give the wrong answer due to rounding: 3 ** 50 % 81 == 42
              Obviously... why do you seem to think you're telling me something I don't know? The only reason I pointed out what I did was RealNC's response was rather incomplete/unclear.
              Last edited by cb88; 26 May 2019, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Obviously... why do you seem to think you're telling me something I don't know? The only reason I pointed out what I did was RealNC's response was rather incomplete/unclear.
                additional elaboration for the benefit of others. It's obvious that you already know about BigInt, didn't mean to offend.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Firefox runs slower than Chrome/Chromium.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rust and other bad choices slows down.
                  You can join the project and propose your alternative and faster/safer/better solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Rust and other bad choices slows down.

Comment

Working...
                    X