Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm SVE2 Support Aligning For GCC 10, LLVM Clang 9.0

Phoronix: Arm SVE2 Support Aligning For GCC 10, LLVM Clang 9.0

Given the significant performance benefits to Arm's Scalable Vector Extension 2 (SVE2), they are working on ensuring the open-source Linux compiler toolchains support these new CPU instructions ahead of SoCs shipping that support this big addition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given that they cover consumer workloads with SVE2, and larger vectors are not that important on phones, I guess it is a safe bet such future CPUs are most likely targeting the notebook and desktop market. That is Linux, ChromeOS and most likely Windows on ARM. I hope that will drive the innovation in the desktop CPU space forward. Having a new choice with a different ISA and many more manufacturers behind it could heat things up again.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Given that they cover consumer workloads with SVE2, and larger vectors are not that important on phones,
      What makes you say that? Seriously I see a future where phones are the center piece solving a persons computing needs.
      I guess it is a safe bet such future CPUs are most likely targeting the notebook and desktop market. That is Linux, ChromeOS and most likely Windows on ARM.
      We still need the major player to embrace ARM for personal computing. ARM is never going to make it a large corporation doesn’t commit to the hardware for general purpose computing. This is one of the big reasons I hope that rumors about ARM based Macs are true.

We need volume to convince the naysayers that ARM is suitable on these platforms. Apple is really the only company in a position to push the market towards ARM.
      I hope that will drive the innovation in the desktop CPU space forward.
      On the other hand the current state of Macs pretty much indicates that Apple doesn’t give a damn about the desktop / laptop markets. There is almost no innovation happening here. The best we could hope for is that a mid-tier vendors comes up with something compelling to light the market up. Right now the “PC” market is pretty dead.
      Having a new choice with a different ISA and many more manufacturers behind it could heat things up again.
      In a way I kinda hope that something happens. If Apple implements the tech only on iPhone I don’t see the rest of the tech world benefitting. We need actual desktop and laptop machines. Even then I don’t see them beating up the market without other compelling tech.

Right now that compelling tech may well be Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning hardware. Interestingly Apple has some advantage here but I don’t see them moving in the right direction.

Interestingly from my perspective the future of tech isn’t personal computers but rather personal robots. This is where innovation will be going in the near future. It might even be where Apples work on autonomous systems is going.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        What makes you say that? Seriously I see a future where phones are the center piece solving a persons computing needs.
        That might be just my lack of vision, but in the short-mid term I wasn't expecting that larger vector units on phones would be needed. I was expecting that they would make better use of the integrated GPU for GPGPU applications instead, either via HSA or now SYCL. ARM is a founding member of the HSA foundation after all but the lack of any news in this regard makes me more skeptical now.

Call me old-fashioned but instead of the phone, I still see a desktop PC as the center piece for a persons computing needs. And the market size is still huge.

Apple is surely on the forefront of pushing their ARM CPUs to higher performance levels to get rid of Intel in their own ecosystem which would provide them with even more control over the technology they use in all segments, not just phones and tablets. I wonder if they would sell their CPU to other vendors to spread the development costs over a higher volume or if they keep the CPU to themselves for a competitive advantage (the latter would be more Apple-like).

Microsoft also invested into the ARM ecosystem, partnering with Qualcomm. But that ecosystem is more open for others and I could think of some other ARM vendors to hop on board if that market takes off. There is a lot of risk here and Microsoft hopefully gets it right this time. I have my doubts that Qualcomm's premium strategy is the right one though, there should be at least another partner for the value market and the performance and customer experience should be comparable to Intel to get people to switch the ecosystem. Things just need to work as seemless and familiar as possible. Apple surely understands this as well. They also have a great track record with the transition to a new ISA.

Comment

Well the way I look at it with a few tweaks to performance and system capability, an iPhone could be easily designed to plug into a video monitor and instantly morph into a PC replacement. While that is tough to do with today’s tech a process shrink or two will give Apple plenty of die space to achieve such a capability.

Would such an iPhone replace all PC’s - nope but it would replace enough to seriously impact Intel. For many users, iPhone and sometimes iPad has already displaced the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Well the way I look at it with a few tweaks to performance and system capability, an iPhone could be easily designed to plug into a video monitor and instantly morph into a PC replacement. While that is tough to do with today’s tech a process shrink or two will give Apple plenty of die space to achieve such a capability.

Would such an iPhone replace all PC’s - nope but it would replace enough to seriously impact Intel. For many users, iPhone and sometimes iPad has already displaced the PC.
            UBPorts Ubuntu Touch proves it's viable.

Comment

Working...
            X