Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust 1.35 Released With Support For Empty Debug Macro, ~4x Faster ASCII Case Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post

I don't understand why Firefox needs to use the latest and greatest features of Rust. Can they not wait 6 to 12 months to require the next feature milestone. If rust would compile cleanly in 10 minutes I would say nothing, but bootstrapping Rust & Cargo (if they even build, which often they do not due to strange bootstrapping hiccups) takes over an hour on a halfway decent system. And yes, there are people who want to build from source to know what they get, and be able to potentially work on the source to fix or tweak something, or develop new features (aka research).
    Can you really complain when you're insisting on going about things the hard way for what amounts to two of the most complex categories of software out there, rather than just taking the quick easy route of using rustup which will give you a working rust install in around a minute (assuming a good internet connection)?

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post

It's actually closer to bi-monthly:
      • Version 1.35.0 (2019-05-23)
      • Version 1.34.0 (2019-04-11)
      • Version 1.33.0 (2019-02-28)
      • Version 1.32.0 (2019-01-17)
      It's every 6 weeks. No need to guess. It's easy to decide whether building the current version makes sense or you'd rather wait a for a new one.

Comment

Look how many problems Rust generates in this very thread, apart from awful code.

Just get rid of it and do humanity a favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Look how many problems Rust generates in this very thread, apart from awful code.

Just get rid of it and do humanity a favor.
          The only problem I'm seeing is someone is too stupid to figure out "rustup update".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The only problem I'm seeing is someone is too stupid to figure out "rustup update".
            and not knowing what it will mess up in my system aside half a gigabyte of build artefacts hidden in ~/.cargo or what that was? You know, some clever people invested Linux distribution package management decades ago so things just work reliable and dependable. And not custom install gazilion of files all over the system. Ps: latest Rust fails to build Cargo for m with really strange errors. Amazing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Can you really complain when you're insisting on going about things the hard way for what amounts to two of the most complex categories of software out there, rather than just taking the quick easy route of using rustup which will give you a working rust install in around a minute (assuming a good internet connection)?
              and not knowing what it will mess up in my system aside half a gigabyte of build artefacts hidden in ~/.cargo or what that was? You know, some clever people invested Linux distribution package management decades ago so things just work reliable and dependable. And not custom install gazilion of files all over the system. Ps: latest Rust fails to build Cargo for m with really strange errors. Amazing stuff.

Also how should I integrate rustup into Linux distribution and cross compiling so the result is not in ~/.cargo but can be distributed to more than just me? Yeah, they invented the most shitty working package management spaghetti clusterfuck nobody asked for and working against any Linux distribution packaging system.

Also: Two most complex categories of software? Compiler and browsers? Strange, until a couple of years ago I could compile gcc and firefox with just configure; make; make install (plus some config options here and there). Brave new world and progress. Let's make working on open source software the most difficult possible. One could get the impression M$ is behind finally breaking the OpenSource movement this way.
              Last edited by rene; 24 May 2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

On my system rustup is installed by the package manager in /usr/bin, all the rust commands are symlinked to rustup, rustup installs its binaries to $HOME/.rustup, and those have been added to my $PATH. Since I don't compile stuff as root, that's good enough for me.

There are like 10 symlinks, 1 binary, a few various shell completions, and the licenses all installed in the standard /usr/bin /usr/share places.

In all fairness to the gazillion files all over the system, outside of what the package includes in standardized locations, everything is centrally located in ~/.rustup and there's only 80 thousand some-odd files . That's clearly not a gazillion.

3.5 GiB (3,763,469,420)
                80169 files, 3641 sub-folders
                This & that & the other should be enough for you to figure out cross-compiling rust code in a manner for distribution.

Code:
                [build]
                jobs = 1                  # number of parallel jobs, defaults to # of CPUs
                rustc = "rustc"           # the rust compiler tool
                rustdoc = "rustdoc"       # the doc generator tool
                [B]THAT = target = "triple"         # build for the target triple (ignored by `cargo install`)
                THE OTHER = target-dir = "target"     # path of where to place all generated artifacts[/B]
                rustflags = ["..", ".."]  # custom flags to pass to all compiler invocations
                rustdocflags = ["..", ".."]  # custom flags to pass to rustdoc
                incremental = true        # whether or not to enable incremental compilation
                                          # If `incremental` is not set, then the value from
                                          # the profile is used.
                dep-info-basedir = ".."   # full path for the base directory for targets in depfiles
                What makes cargo great is you don't have to fuck with build systems made after-the-fact which means that there won't be any major build system changeovers. Let's switch from configure/make to Meson to Ninja to "All of this has happened before and will happen again" is always a fun process in the open source world.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 24 May 2019, 04:28 PM. Reason: it's to is

Comment

files in any home directory are field all over the place and not in the OS. And what do files in ~rene/.cargo help other users, or if in ~root/.cargo do not really benefit other users. Also in this thousands of files in hundreds of MB or GB, you can install a whole Windows 2k, or a whole Linux distribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnIW6tDifM And in whichever home directory this crap ends up, how should I ship it for an installable ISO? Should I tell people: everything installs nicely, but if you want fireofx, first Remote-Code-Excute curl rust | bash and hope for the best, and after an hour or two install firefox? Amazing stuff. I need such drugs myself, ...

Comment

files in any home directory are field all over the place and not in the OS. And what do files in ~rene/.cargo help other users, or if in ~root/.cargo do not really benefit other users. Also in this thousands of files in hundreds of MB or GB, you can install a whole Windows 2k, or a whole Linux distribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnIW6tDifM And in whichever home directory this crap ends up, how should I ship it for an installable ISO? Should I tell people: everything installs nicely, but if you want fireofx, first Remote-Code-Excute curl rust | bash and hope for the best, and after an hour or two install firefox? Amazing stuff. I need such drugs myself, ...
                    Then install rustup via the package manager and then configure that to use some global directory for system wide usage or install whatever version of rust your distribution ships with and use that.

rustup allows you to customise your installation by setting the environment variables CARGO_HOME and RUSTUP_HOME before running the rustup-init executable. As mentioned in the Environment Variables section, RUSTUP_HOME sets the root rustup folder, which is used for storing installed toolchains and configuration options. CARGO_HOME contains cache files used by cargo.
                    Not sure about other distributions, but on Arch/Manjaro you either set it up custom via rustup (pacman or curl) to somewhere (like /opt/rustup) and add that to the $PATH, set it up normally with rustup installed via pacman (or curl), or install rust and components via pacman.

If I want to run it as root or sudo via normal rustup (not the custom way), I have to install the components as root or add $HOME/.cargo/bin to the system wide $PATH.

On the curl/bash part....just STFU about that already. **Insert package here** not being installed by default annoys everyone and multiple ways to install shit can be just as annoying.

OMFG, I had to run "sudo apt-get install build-essential" before I could complete the Linux kernel. That's some bullshit. I should have all the software necessary to compile the Linux kernel out of the box. Dammit, now I have to run "sudo apt-get install cargo rust" before I can compile Firefox. Crap, my distribution is "stable" and doesn't ship the newer version of the compiler that Firefox requires so I had to get the compiler straight from the project. That's some bullshit. Why doesn't my distribution ship the compiler they have to use is what you should really be pissed about...Oh, wait, they do and it's in a package called rustup...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      On the curl/bash part....just STFU about that already. **Insert package here** not being installed by default annoys everyone and multiple ways to install shit can be just as annoying.
                      you did not even understand most of my points at all, … :-/ Also STFU about curl/ bash? I have curl and bash installed that is not my problem, my problem is people in this day and age promoting executing random untrusted code without review straight from the internet, what could possibly go wrong, ..?

And "just install it thru your distro" when it is the most distribution unfriendly mess that only recently got somewhat half-assed added to some distributions?

And hundreds of MB if not a GB for a compiler and it's micro binding packages? Well done, other's pack a whole operating system and graphic environment into that kind of amount of files and space.

PS: you do not need to reply, I have no time to further entertain you in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X